Electronic Translators Anyone used or using one?

Sapins 10:49 11 Oct 2014
Answered

I am going to buy a Translator and I would like to know if you have experience of them. I just need to cover English to and from French, Spanish, German, Dutch and Italian. Any help will be gratefully received as I have found conflicting reviews and I can't be sure some of the reviews are genuine!

Sapins 09:58 12 Oct 2014
Answer

I have bought one now.

spuds 12:55 12 Oct 2014

I bought one a number of years ago (when they seemed all the go) and found it fairly good for 'general' translations, but nothing out of the ordinary. In the end I regarded it more of a novelty, than anything else.

What I have found though, is the usage of Lernout & Hauspie Simply Translating installed on my computer very worthwhile. That programme as helped me communicate with friends around the world, whose mother tongue is not English, with fair amount of ease. That particular package was bought many years ago, and is still being used today with great results.

wee eddie 13:23 12 Oct 2014

Sapins: Which did you buy and how do you find it works?

Sapins 19:47 12 Oct 2014

I have bought a Franklin Speaking Global est-5114 but it hasn't arrived yet.

Sapins 08:55 18 Oct 2014

Received translator and it does what it claims. I have been using it for a couple of day's and it gets easier as you go along. The speaking part is good although I am not so sure about the French section, It doesn't sound like the French I hear being spoken so I will have to try it out on some native speakers! Should be fun! I have not yet explored all the features but there are some interesting ones like build your own dictionary which I hope will include phrases as well as single words. So, pleased with it so far.

spuds 10:24 18 Oct 2014

Sapins - "The speaking part is good although I am not so sure about the French section, It doesn't sound like the French I hear being spoken so I will have to try it out on some native speakers!"

Like a number of these type of devices, they only use a 'international general translation', not local dialects or 'oddities', so you might be able to change some of that, in 'build your own dictionary' part of the device. Glad that it is working out for you so far, and perhaps you can update about the above dictionary changes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?