Electricity supplier - sending E-mails

jack 20:02 15 Jun 2009

This evening an E-mail from my electricity suppler asking for a meter reading within the next 7 days.
There has been so far as I can tell no notification they were going to this instead of the regular reader gent.
So what do you all think - genuine?

octal 20:55 15 Jun 2009

The question needs to be asked did you give your email address to you suppler? Have a look at the email headers to see where the email originated from, that might give some clue to its validity by doing a back trace on the ISP's in the email.

Forum Editor 21:05 15 Jun 2009

about once a month. My supplier sends me email reminders if I forget.

The Kestrel 21:28 15 Jun 2009

I have an online electricity and gas account and send in my meter readings online. This does not involve emails, I log onto the suppliers website and submit my readings. By doing this I get an additional discount. I get emails requesting that I submit my readings each quarter, but am never asked to send in the readings by email.

citadel 22:27 15 Jun 2009

If I am not at home when the meter man comes they send an estimated bill, I can send a reading online or by phone if I am not happy with it.

Pamy 22:28 15 Jun 2009

Have you changed your electicity account to "online".

Pamy 22:33 15 Jun 2009

If you have not requested any change then I would ignore the e-mail,but I would get onto their site or telephone them and ask about it, but do not click on "reply"

jack 08:01 16 Jun 2009

The E-mail quoted the account number - so took meter reading and meter number .

Opened the site - copy and paste the account number and post code.

'Invalid Account number'
came up- Huh
If 'they' got that bit wrong - let 'em send me a bill-
But no I'll take a look at the last bill.
took off the account number- hand typed it in- same number by the way - on the next page-meter number matched -so entered the reading.
That was accepted.
Lets see what happens.
Can always complain if it does not marry up.

Pamy 22:09 27 Jun 2009

"So I thought -wot the hell - do it!"
So was it genine?

jack 10:21 28 Jun 2009

It appears so
The bill when it came matched my reading.
Paid it same day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?