Economical Printer for Home Use:

Alan Ryan 13:46 08 Jan 2004

My printer is very greedy and drinks ink. Can anyone recommend a printer for domestic use that is economical with ink and costs less than £100 ?
I know "economical" is an elastic term and it all depends etc., but the only use our printer gets, amounts to a few simple word processing tasks and the very occasional printing of a colour photograph.

johnnyrocker 13:55 08 Jan 2004

how many colours do you have? if less than six that would account for the heavy usage especially with pictures (size?)

johnny.

Alan Ryan 13:59 08 Jan 2004

In three months I've spent more than the cost of the printer on ink. It has only 3 colours, but it's the black that I'm more concerned about - it lasts no time and the "standard cartridge" is minute.

palinka 16:02 08 Jan 2004

I use a Canon BJC3000. It's economical, and if what you're printing is all black you can set it to use just the black cartridge (which is larger than the separate colour ones but proportionally cheaper).

I also refill my cartridges: tried doing it myself for a while, but always found it a messy business; now I take the empties in to Cartridge World who have a branch near me and they refill them for less than cost of new Canon brand and I've noticed no difference.

Sheila-214876 16:51 08 Jan 2004

You never said what printer it is that you aready have?

spuds 19:26 08 Jan 2004

I would consider Epson or HP as the more economical printers, with readily available cartridges, especially in compatibles.

I have used HP printers for a long time now, but my latest purchase was a Lexmark, which gives very good results in print form. I was suprised to find that my previous HP 29A and 49A cartridges hold 40ml of ink, and the Lexmark only holds about 22ml of ink, yet the price of cartridges is about the same.

carver 20:25 08 Jan 2004

Go for a printer with separate ink tanks I bought a cannon i850 6 months ago and it's superb both for basic printing and photo's the ink's cheap and getting refills from Cartridge World is even cheaper.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?