eco kettles

gibfish26 11:45 09 Nov 2008

hi all,
would appreciate your views and experiences with the eco kettle,do they really save energy compared to just boiling say enough water for two cups in ordinary kettle.looked at the tefal one cup but was put off this by poor reviews,i-e water not hot enough for a cuppa.or maybe you could reccomend another efficient brand.thanks.

gibfish26.

jack 11:59 09 Nov 2008

A Water heater - give any name you like- will need a certain amount of energy to bring a given volume of water to boiling point.
If you want to save energy in this way - Invest instead in a large vacuum flask/jug.

The Brigadier 08:54 11 Nov 2008

Or buy a slow burner!

bjh 11:01 11 Nov 2008

Old-style kettles with a loop element are less efficient at heat transfer to the water than the modern flat-plate sort. What I have seen written on eco-kettles hasn't been hugely positive and, like jack, I suspect many are just jumping on the green bandwagon.

Filling with exactly the required quantity of water helps, as does not relying on the auto-off feature, which generally relies on the kettle boiling for a few seconds before switching off.

I have seen one kettle that was an energy saver, not pushed as eco, but was designed for the single cup at a time. I think it was a Kenwood. It was smaller-based, making boiling small quantities of water easier...

tillybaby 12:09 11 Nov 2008

Hi Gibfish,

I've got one of the Tefal things and think it's brilliant, the water is instantly hot so no messing around waiting for a kettle to boil, as for the temperature, it's more than hot enough for a cup of tea so goodness knows what others need their temperature at, I suspect 100c which it doesn't do.

gibfish26 14:20 11 Nov 2008

tillybaby
thanks for your reply,so would you say you are saving on energy with your tefal compared to just boiling enough water in a ordinary kettle.thanks to all for reply's

tillybaby 16:14 11 Nov 2008

Sorry for not replying sooner,

Yes, in our family we most definitely save by using the Tefal quickboil (I think that's the correct name for it)

My son is on numerous tablets which make him extremely thirsty and unfortunately his choice of beverage is tea, before we got this kettle we were boiling up so much unnecessary water whereas now it seems to only boil so much but even if it's left to go cold overnight it still takes less than 10 seconds to reach the temperature, I would definitely recommend it to anyone and we will certainly replace it when needed.

shellship 16:26 11 Nov 2008

Our kettle must be eco friendly as it is 46 years old and still working, but it does have a small leak on occasions. Tried to get a new one from RH saying they could use ours for quality advertising but they did not bother to reply!

€dstowe 18:42 11 Nov 2008

I was very disappointed with the Tefal Quick Cup for making tea. These kettles don't boil the water, they just heat it to about 90 deg. As a good "Cuppa" required boiling water to infuse properly, these kettles don't do the trick. OK if you like your tea the way they drink it in Europe (weak and warm) but absolutely no use if you want tea with any strength to it.

gibfish26 20:18 11 Nov 2008

hi all
i am still undecided which way to go,or just stick with my own kettle and just boil the right ammount of water,because we do like our tea hot and strong.many thanks.
gibfish26.

ton 20:21 11 Nov 2008

We have recently got a Kenwood kettle. It has a clear water container that is marked so you can easily put in the correct amount for just one cup or whatever you want.

We are now only boiling what is needed.

And yes - it does boil properly, very pleased with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?