Eclipse!

arrakas 16:04 09 Nov 2006

Anyone using Eclipse Broadband. I'm thinking of ditching Tiscali as I have had nothing but problems after upgrading to their 8MB deal, lucky if I get 2.7MB. I have heard that Eclipse is good. But you never know till you move over.......

sean-278262 16:30 09 Nov 2006

How far are you from the exchange, what is your contention ratio? All things to consider. I have 8mb bb here and it runs at

Downstream 2,597.1 Kbps ( = 2.5 Mbps )
Upstream 377.3 Kbps ( = 0.4 Mbps )

and the exchange is just down the road from me. 8mb is the maximum. What you get varies depending on who else is using the connection, how far you are away and the quality of the line.

So count yourself lucky to get what you do. Moving service may just end up getting you the same thing if it is factors outside your control such as line quality and distance from the exchange.

arrakas 16:44 09 Nov 2006

I had my line tested by Eclipse, they say it could take up to 8MB, but then they would. BT test says I can get 6.5MB. I had 2MB with Tiscali at first, with was working okay most of the time. But now it has started going wrong, they awful in communication. Response to my emails, clearly show that they never even read the emails.

sean-278262 16:57 09 Nov 2006

I think thats what people call automated responce. A computer reads the mail see's keywords and sends you a message that fits what keywords it found.

arrakas 17:01 09 Nov 2006

That makes sense, I say I'm using a Mac, they give me details on changing my Windows settings. I say I am using a router. They give me details on upgrading my Sage modem.

Drove me CRAZY. Is Eclipse any better with support.

sean-278262 17:08 09 Nov 2006

No Idea mate. Im with EFH broadband and they have proved to be quite helpful and answer the phones. Based in Hull and Im very happy on their top package.

arrakas 17:15 09 Nov 2006

Sure. According to Eclipse, they say that you can pay for a package that guarantees high speed. Due to not have a large ratio of users using the same connection. But unfortunately they did not answer their phone....... to many callers, call back later. I'll leave this thread open for a while longer to see if anyone is using Eclipse Broadband.
Thanks Creature.

iscanut 17:36 09 Nov 2006

Have a look at this thread

click here

Gizmo2005 17:48 09 Nov 2006

I joined Eclipse in August and it’s been GREAT I am at the moment connecting at 7.1 Mbps, never had to contact support, but I did for my brothers setup on Eclipse and the support is based in the UK, if this is how good it gets I will be sticking with Eclipse !

arrakas 19:13 09 Nov 2006

These are helpful comments, I have been with Tiscali for many years, even when dial up was all you could get. But I need SP that can I can understand and can understand me. Does anyone know if Eclipse supports Apple Macs. I will speak to them but they seem a little overwhelmed for phone conversations at the moment.

iscanut 20:07 09 Nov 2006

Eclipse does support Apple Macs. I have a friend with a Mac who signed up with no problems.
Tel 01392 333301 or email them at
[email protected]
Technical are on 01392 333300 or [email protected] uk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017