EC starts turning the screw on Philips and LG

TopCat® 14:00 13 Jul 2009

The European Commission makes the first move on an alleged LCD flat screen price-fixing probe. TC.

click here

laurie53 20:23 13 Jul 2009

Interesting, but could just two companies fix the whole European market?

Stuartli 00:46 14 Jul 2009

The EU hasn't a clue.

See:

click here

Also:

click here

and:

click here

click here

DieSse 01:20 14 Jul 2009

They didn't say "just two companies" - read the report!

"Brussels suspects Philips and LG may have been part of a wider cartel."

Perhaps they may have cause to suspect they were the ringleaders. They may be right, they may be wrong - but if they have any evidence at all they should investigate. And I can't see what Stuartlis links have to do with it. It's not a monopoly situation they're looking into, it's a price fixing cartel.

Monopolies and cartels are the bane of a free market (along with other things of course).

birdface 06:18 14 Jul 2009

Well I found them a couple of the cheapest makers when purchasing a new TV lately.So they must be doing something right.

Stuartli 09:40 14 Jul 2009

I certainly did read the report in the link - I was seeking to point out that there are several very large manufacturers of LCD panels - Sony/Samsung is one of the largest and Sony also has a tie-up with Sharp.

Also see this PCA link:

click here

DieSse 11:40 14 Jul 2009

"Brussels suspects Philips and LG may have been part of a wider cartel."

It doesn't matter how much or little of the market these two companies have if they're suspected of being part of a cartel (price fixing group).

That's why the links about market are irrelevant to the report.

Since no-one is going to launch such a probe without at least something to base a suspicion on, I say "go to it" - not "they haven't a clue", based on misreading the report.

DieSse 11:44 14 Jul 2009

BTW Stuartli my initial "read the report" was in answer to laurie53 - not you. However from what you say, you may well have read it - but may have misunderstood it.

Stuartli 12:26 14 Jul 2009

Perhaps this is the real reason..:-)

click here

Stuartli 12:28 14 Jul 2009
  DieSse 12:35 14 Jul 2009

Perhaps it's the cartel doing it's spin??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone