eBuyer... a possible warning...

Simsy 11:32 20 Aug 2010

Folks,
I've never had reason to criticise eBuyer before, but, just a pointer...

I've been in the Market for a replacement SatNav device, and was looking at eBuyer, (as that's always the first place I go for most "techie" stuff)...

There are quite a few Garmin units labelled a "NOH", which I discovered means "newly overhauled", i.e refurbished...
and as a result they are cheaper than original price...

What is not made clear, and when I spoke to them it was acknowledged that this was the case, is that these items only have a 90 day guarantee. Whne I discused this with them the attitude, though friendly, was that "90 days is quite normal for this kind of thing" and that I should automatically be aware of it.

Notwithstanding that I suspect consumer law would have an issue with the 90 day thing, I'm clear that this isn't really "on". Am I being harsh?

I subsequenly have ordered one from Amazon, not a refurb, but I did look at a refurb one via one of Amazon's retailers, (SatnavRus or somesuch!), and rang them first, who confirmed a 1 year guarantee.

I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with eBuyers approach, (and I will continue to buy from them)... but you might want to check carefully if you are in the same position which regard to overhauled products.

Regards,

Simsy

birdface 11:45 20 Aug 2010

Well I would imagine as they are not new you would not expect to get a full 1 year warranty with them.
If you think E-Buyer is being a bit underhand in the way they are selling them then you should have complained.

birdface 11:52 20 Aug 2010

I can see why after looking at E-Buyer.

click here

It is not until you click on it you find that it is refurbished and not obvious to anyone just browsing.

birdface 11:59 20 Aug 2010

Also never seen anywhere where it said 90 day warranty so definitely a bit misleading.

mb1980y 13:10 20 Aug 2010

Think it suggests something in the T&C's under -

7.7 Ex. display stock, Grade A, Grade B and Used stock

but I doubt many people reads T&C's these days, including myself.

Simsy 19:49 20 Aug 2010

I'm not suggesting that there's anything underhand, but things could be clearer, and I must confess I was a little disappointed that when I mentioned it wasn't clear, that my comment wasn't received a little more positively.

Oh well... There's more important things to worry about!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?