Ebay & Paypal

callumb 21:35 26 Sep 2009

Hi

Looking for some advice please.

I've recently sold a graphics card on ebay that had been fully tested and was in 100% working condition.

I sent the graphics card off and within a few days the buyer said that the graphics card is not working and he wants a refund.

Now, a few things:

a) I don't believe him for a second. The card was brand new, had been tested and was in full working condition

b) it was very well packaged so no harm could have come to it during delivery

c) when I advertised the card, I stated that returns were not accepted (not because I'm a bad person but because I don't want the hassle of having to relist again - especially as ebay will have already taken their fees and the value of graphics cards depreciate quickly - and furthermore, if the buyer has somehow damaged this pristine card, I don't want to refund them and get a broken card back in return.

One additional aspect to this issue (and this may just be coincidental, but seems bad luck as I've never had it before) - when the payment came through from paypal, it was accompanied by a note saying that the funds would not be released until the buyer provided feedback or 21 days passed.

I'm now concerned that all this guy has to do is request his money back through paypal and I'll be left up the proverbial creek without a paddle and seriously out of pocket.

Does anyone know if that's what will happen? Or have any advice for me?

PalaeoBill 22:41 26 Sep 2009

A number of people, including me, have fallen into this trap. Even though e-bay's default setting is 'no returns accepted', PayPal don't accept this unless the listing says 'AS IS' and you make it clear the card is untested and may not work.
If you listed the card as working and the buyer says its not, then PayPal will side with the buyer. If he has broken it he's not going to admit it.
Your best bet is to call his bluff and have the card returned to you if there is sufficient value in it (or even if their isn't, just so that you deprive him of it - ive done this as a matter of principle). When you get it back make the refund.
Also it is worth noting that certain graphics cards simply refuse to work with certain motherboards. For those of us that have built and sold PC's its a common problem. Your buyer could well be trying to pull a fast one but it is possible that there genuinely is a problem.

callumb 23:14 26 Sep 2009

so basically I'm screwed?

I have to accept a returned graphics card that may now be faulty and I won't be able to sell on?

Will paypal not look at the circumstances? after all, my listing says no returns accepted, and the buyer has confirmed receipt of the item.

with regards to non-compatibility, surely that's the buyers concern - and their responsibility to look into before buying

i really feel like i'm getting the raw end of the stick here and this buyer knows how to work the system when he changes his mind (or perhaps he wants to wangle his way to keeping the card and get a refund)

this kind of stuff really does put me off ebay

rdave13 23:46 26 Sep 2009

Up to your principals but I'd never sell anything on ebay.
Come to think of it I

rdave13 00:01 27 Sep 2009

Pressed space bar with some other obscure key and hey-presto it posted. Apologies.... to continue, if you're a seller and genuine, or not, the cards are stacked against you. I certainly would 'recycle' the graphics card and 'stuff' ebay. The prices on E-bay now are ridiculous for second hand
'car-boot' rubbish and the 'good' goods mostly are retail prices anyway.

morddwyd 05:36 27 Sep 2009

The trouble is that there are more sellers ripping people off than there are buyers, and it is sellers who are `regarded with more suspicion by e-bay.

You should also remember that while the sellers pay the charges, e-bay gets nothing until a buyer comes up.

E-bay can afford to lose the odd seller like yourself and rdave13, but it's the buyers who are their bread and butter, and who they need to keep sweet.

In addition nearly all consumer legislation, which e-bay has to comply with, is skewed in favour of the buyer.

PalaeoBill 09:32 27 Sep 2009

Unfortunately yes the odds are stacked against honest seller. It depends how often you use e-bay. I have been been screwed a handfull of times but otherwise had hundreds of decent tansactions. On balance it was worth it.
What sort of feedback does your buyer have? I refuse to sell to people who have no feedback. If he has a bad history you may get lucky with paypal. If you get the card back and it has clearly been mangled you can try your luck with PayPal. The problem resolution service is pretty good, you can only try.

spuds 10:02 27 Sep 2009

I use eBay and PayPal on a daily basis, and all sorts of problems can occur, from the honesty of the seller/buyer to the way the product is advertised.

I have found that buying electrical goods (even though the sellers as clearly stated that they are new, as new, excellent condition) is now becoming a sure no no.

eBay and PayPal can prove very difficult to work with, and their customer support (overseas!) can be a problem. I have three disputes with sellers, and non-receipt of items going on at present, and eBay doesn't seem to be helping very much (something that I would not have stated a year ago!).

I would suggest that you ask for the item back, with the proviso that you will have the item 'independently' tested. If the sale as reached a dispute situation, then by doing this it should perhaps give you some credit with eBay. You could also check the feedback rating of the buyer, and see if this sought of thing as occured before!.

Whatever way that you look at it, you could well be on a sticky wicket in resolving this issue. I would also strongly suggest that you always obtain a certificate of posting, or get the item recorded, whether you sell or buy, at least then, you may have a claim for lost or broken items in the post.

Boghound 10:04 27 Sep 2009

Unfortunately you are "screwed"....As a seller, Ebay don't give a damn unless you have well over 20,000 feedbacks and Paypal are just as bad because all they will do is freeze the amount involved so that they can deduct it from your account when the issue is resolved in the buyers favour. You might get lucky if this buyer has tried it on before but I doubt it....Just get the buyer to mail the item back to you with proof of posting (no chance!!!) and when Paypal send you notification about a pending action against you say you are waiting for the return of the item before issuing a refund....GOOD LUCK!!!!!

rickf 11:04 27 Sep 2009

It is possible that the buyer is trying it on. On the other hand the card could have been damaged in transit. PO handlers do chuck packages about. Was it securle packaged? I think the majority of ebay users are honest with a few exceptions. What was his feedback like. Like many I refuse to deal with people who have too many negative feedbacks, either sellers or buyers, to be on the safe side. Your only option is to get him to send it back to you and if not faulty leave him negative feedback and warn others.

Boghound 11:42 27 Sep 2009

@rickf

He'll have a a hell of a job leaving negative feedback as a seller!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?