Ebay - New 2 selling

version8 16:10 23 Sep 2008

OK i've set up an account on ebay & paypal and am ready to start selling a wide range of unwanted gifts etc.
But are their any pitfulls or things i should be weary off?
Should i send things standard mail or registered?

Any advice would be welcome.

GRIDD 16:20 23 Sep 2008

"i've set up an account on ebay"

Recently? People are always cautious about new IDs selling. Secondly, without checking, I believe ebay/paypal will hold your funds if you are new and items are of good value or risky items such as software etc.

€dstowe 16:54 23 Sep 2008

Following on from GRIDD's advice, start off by selling low value items to build up a good feedback score. Ensure you price them so that you make a profit but, keep the margin low, especially at first. For carriage be reasonable and charge only for postage plus a bit for packing. Some sellers price items as a stupidly low price and then have an equally stupidly high carriage charge - these sellers don't usually last very long.

Send the items out quickly - within a day of the auction finishing and receiving payment.

-> Ensure payment is in your account before parting with the goods <- very important!!!

Do all transactions through PayPal. NEVER accept cheques of any type.

When you have built up a positive feedback score you should only then sell things of higher value.

A colleague's wife runs a small eBay business and she had a maximum price of £3 when she started trading. She now regularly sells items of several hundred £££ value and turns over several hundred £££ per week. Feedback score 100% with over 1000 transactions.

Not everyone on eBay is a crook - either buyers or sellers - as some seem to imply.

spuds 18:05 23 Sep 2008

Make sure that your postage costs are correct, its very easy to advertise (say) £1.50 postage & packing, then find the local post office wants £2.00 (you are down 50p already!).Make sure the items are packed well. With 'sensitive' items take photographs.

Give the buyer the option of registered post, and add this to the postage cost. If using standard postage, then obtain a certificate of posting, which is free.

Do not do any deals from people sending emails, use the eBay listing only.

Always send an email to the buyer, when you have dispatched the goods, or there are problems.

Price your items to the value that you think they are worth. No point in advertising an item that you want £10 or £100, and not taking this into consideration. Then at end of auction the item only sells for £5 or £50 and you feel cheated. The buyer is going to feel more cheated if you do not send the goods, and this will or may lead to a dispute situation or bad feedback and may lead to closure of your account and registration of eBay and/or PayPal.

There's stacks more things to consider, and perhaps a look at eBays forums and advice sections may have some vital clues and answers.

And as stated earlier, make sure that you have the funds in your account before sending any items out. Warning though, PayPal can lock your account and hold your money for whatever reason.

Why wont it work 18:10 23 Sep 2008

Another tip is that is always worth sending items by recorded delivery and if it is expensive consider paying the extra to have the item insured too. (I believe 1st Class Recorded includes insurance up to £36 anyway). That way if the buyer doesn't get the item you have proof you sent it and if it is lost/damaged in transit you can claim the cost of the item from Royal Mail.

In my experience sending it recorded only costs a little bit more and buyers are usually willing to pay the extra cost for that extra piece of mind.

Why wont it work 18:12 23 Sep 2008

I also meant to say with recorded you can prove they received it to! I have had people claim they haven't received something and then I have pointed out that I can see that they signed for it on the royal mail website!

spuds 10:42 25 Sep 2008

Do provide photographs, it can be a deciding factor, because people will then know what to expect. But do not do what some people regard as providing a description, but just stating 'as/see photograph' and nothing else.

Be absolutely honest. No point in saying the item is new, when it obviously been used, perhaps many times. No point in stating "Not my responsibility- I do not refund-. Be seller/buyer friendly.And always try to leave honest simple to the point feedbacks.

oldbeefer2 10:50 25 Sep 2008

To save costs, I usually only insert the one photo, but offer potential buyers the option to have more, higher res phots emailed to them. That gives them the change to see exactly what the goods are like, proves you are being honest and gives some proof of quality pre-posting if there is a subsequent dispute. Note that a recent change to ebay rules mean you can no longer leave negative feedback on buyers - seems a bit odd to me, but I'm sure there's a good reason!

spuds 11:59 25 Sep 2008

oldbeefeater2, the reason was due to insulting or wrongful feedbacks from seller to buyer in a dispute situation, and buyers being in fear of poor feedback ratings and perhaps 'wrongful' comments.

But I see no difference if a seller wants to give a positive star rating and a negative comment. Not sure if eBay is policing this possibility, and removing any offencive remarks!.

Totally-braindead 22:33 25 Sep 2008

I always send stuff "signed for" after a couple of parcels (allegedly) went missing.
Not saying they didn't go missing but I of course couldn't prove they were delivered as I had no signature.

version8 16:22 27 Sep 2008

Well just put 2 items up for sale.
Got about another 100 things to sell for family & friends!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?