eBay help.

belfman 11:32 29 Feb 2008

I have been asked my opinion on a sale on ebay.

A phone was listed on ebay as UK only but a German bidder has won the auction and it went for a very good price.

The seller receieved an email, apparently, from Paypal saying the payment had been made by mastercard and approved but would not be deposited in her account til she provided a tracking number to show she had posted it. In her paypal account there is no mention of anything so I think this mail never came from paypal at all.

It states this to keep both buyer and seller safe. That fails to register with me because as soon as the item leaves her possession that's it gone and with no sale money in her account.

There is no mention of paypal every doing this that I can see. My instinct says it's a con.

PalaeoBill 11:41 29 Feb 2008
  belfman 11:56 29 Feb 2008

Thanks. I called her and got the emails forwarded - they are fake as suspected.

belfman 12:11 29 Feb 2008

Phone sold to a new ID registered in Germany

Email received saying you have received a paypal payment and giving details of a Nigerian address to post to.

Email received saying payment being held until item had been posted and a tracking number to be provided.

As she's new to selling she contacted me to ask was it ok. I've warned her clearly that it's a scam and what action to take. Both emails where clearly fake coming from www. mail .com She is reporting it to ebay and to adjust her account to block bids from certain ebayers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?