e-commerce web site scams

pieuca 17:47 10 Jan 2003
  pieuca 17:47 10 Jan 2003

On October 30, I ordered a product from a web site in the US, and payment for it was deducted from my credit card the following day. The site claimed that delivery outside the US took between 1 and 3 weeks. After 5 weeks I emailed them, I was told that delivery outside the US can take up to 12 weeks (so they are committing fraudulent misrepresentation)..But since, after 10 weeks, I have still not received the product ordered, it may be something much worse. They claim to have 52 web sites and ship 100,000 orders monthly worldwide, but they have no delivery tracking system and use a hotmail account for customer complaints. I am more interested in having the company checked out than in getting my money back. Is there an authority I can take this matter up with ?

Djohn 18:02 10 Jan 2003

pieuca, I would think that your first call should be to your credit card supplier, they will be able to look into this for you.

Horta 18:04 10 Jan 2003

I can't remember the relevant small print at the moment but as you paid by credit card you may be protected in some way by the card company. Good Luck

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:05 10 Jan 2003

'so they are committing fraudulent misrepresentation'...not really just probs with delivery. Calling a Timex a Rolex and charging accordingly is fraudulent misrepresentation.

'They claim to have 52 web sites'....errrm, why not have one. It should set any alarm bells off. Niemann Marcus and the CIA get away with one each.

'use a hotmail account for customer complaints'...please tell me that you found this out AFTER you had placed the order.

'I am more interested in having the company checked out'....name/website please.

Don't worry, you paid by credit card, inform your CC provider. In case of fraud you will be reimbursed.

G

Becles 18:05 10 Jan 2003

I'm not sure how the law protects you on purchases from the US.

You could try Trading Standards and see if they will help. Fill in the form here click here and it will be forwarded to your local office. Someone will contact you with advice and hopefully a solution to your problem.

Becles

pieuca 19:04 10 Jan 2003

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Yes, I'll get the CC company on the case, and hopefully get my money back. But my main concern is, there are bogus companies on the Web, run by criminals, stealing from us internet shoppers to the extent of who knows how many millions. And there doesn't seem to be a way bringing them to book. I don't know if the company I ordered from is one of them - they're very active, marketing many products - but fraudulent misrepresentation (a deliberately false statement that induces a customer to buy a product is, at least under UK law, just that) unacceptable, and I'll be happy to give their url if they continue to fob me off, as they have so far done.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:09 10 Jan 2003

Could you post any of their 52 web addresses?

G

pieuca 12:42 15 Jan 2003

Since the company has ignored my latest email and 11 weeks have gone by since they took my money, I'm happy to give details. They operate from two PO box numbers in New Jersey, and claim to have 56 (not 52) sites, though I can trace only about a dozen such as:
click here, and
click here
They're all semi-literate and very tacky, with statements such as: "NOTICE: We Prosecute ALL stolen Credit Card/Fraud attempts, WORLDWIDE (including malaysia, indonesia, australia, etc) ! So Be smart and take your Fraud ELSEWHERE Sorry, NO SALES TO AUSTRALIA"
Their online transactions are handled by:
click here, and/or click here.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:54 15 Jan 2003

Paypal and shopping cart are well known money transfer systems (I use paypal) so they seem OK. The sites are somewhat garish (nothing wrong with a lapse in taste) and NOTHING has been tested by the Food and Drugs poobahs in the States (plenty wrong with this) so should immediately be binned if you ever get them.

Contact your credit card company ASAP to arrange a refund.

It would be impish of me to ask which product you ordered. ;-))))

G

pieuca 14:54 15 Jan 2003

Pheromones (I need all the help I can get! - just wondered if they work, and don't know anyone who's tried them). I'm in touch with the CCC, and am contacting Trading Standards Cosumer Complaint as Becles advises.
But as far as I can see, these people have stolen my money, and it's really frustrating that thieves can get away with setting up sites to steal internet shoppers' money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?