E-Buyer Payment.

birdface 17:58 01 Feb 2011
Answered

A bit long winded but just wanted to know if I have to part with my Pin number.

Hi. I ordered a Tower from E-buyer yesterday and when it got to the end of the transaction it wanted my pin number to finalise the order.
I have never known any company wanting my pin number before.
I pressed the button just to see where it took me so that I could have a look at what they actually wanted.
But nothing appeared on the screen except done or finish at the bottom.
So I thought that was it.
got an E-mail confirming the order and the price.
Then got another saying transaction never went ahead as I never entered my pin number.

Order Number:

Thank you for placing your order with Ebuyer.com, unfortunately during the processing of your transaction it has become apparent that you have not entered your Verify by Visa/Securecode password/pin number.

This order has therefore been ** CONVERTED TO A QUOTE ** you will find this in the quotes section of your account. Please convert this quote back into an order entering all correct details and we will process your order.

If you have not yet enrolled in the Verify by Visa / Securecode (Mastercard, Maestro or Solo) Scheme, you can do this by contacting your card issuer.
Then I got another e-mail.

Your order has been converted to a quote for one of the following reasons:

Incorrect billing address details.
Items on the order are discontinued and need cancelling/replacing.
Incorrect choice of shipping method.
Payment declined.
Use of someone else credit/debit card.
Incorrect credit/debit card details

We apologise for any inconvenience. If you still require the order, please reorder the goods online via your Ebuyer account. When placing your order again please review the order value as we do not honour any price differences if your order has been converted to a quote for any of the above reasons and our prices can fluctuate daily. We have saved your order as a quote to enable you to process the details through checkout easily.

Please note; if payment has been taken for your cancelled order, we will refund the money as soon as possible. The refund will take up to three working days to clear.

Kind regards,

Ebuyer Customer Support

They may have taken the money out of my account if so surely they have all details that they need for the transaction.

All this is just to find out if it is normal to take or ask for someones pin number is this a regular action taken by companys nowadays.
I could not reorder in case they had already taken the payment from my account.
It is not the 3 pin number on the back of the card they want as they already had that it was my actual pin number.

HondaMan 18:06 01 Feb 2011

"Verify by Visa/Securecode password/pin number." This is an additional safeguard. Verify by Visa is a method adoipted by many card providers in addition to the opthger on-line methods which may in in place on any given site. It IS NOT asking for your pin num ber, but the password/pin number which you chose when signing up to verify by Visa. When previously visiting a site, you must have clicked to adopt the vderify by Visa system and entered a pin or password on that site. You will have to read the rules andf regs to see how to recover the details. Try this link click here

beeuuem 18:10 01 Feb 2011

It isn't your actual CC pin they want it is the verification for "Verify by Visa/Securecode password/pin number."
click here

961 18:15 01 Feb 2011

If you are using a Visa card you may well be asked for a "verified" number when you seek to confirm your purchase

Verifed by Visa is a system that confirms who you are when you are buying on the internet

click here

This is a method of confirming web purchases and is not the same as your pin code or your security 3 digit number on the back of your card

You don't have to part with your Pin number

Contact your card issuer or E-Buyer to see what has happened with the transaction and how to continue

birdface 18:24 01 Feb 2011

Thanks HondaMan never had to do that before.
I bought some other goods from them last year and did not have to do that.
They have all my details plus my address etc so thought that should have been enough.
Well at least I know it is not my actual pin number that they want so thats a relief never signed up for anything like that so lets hope I can remember some of the details that it required.
In the meantime I will have a look at Amazon and see if they have any tower bargains.
Thank you for helping me out as I never had a clue as no company has asked me for any of those details.
Will class as resolved now since it has been explained to me what they are actually looking for.

birdface 18:26 01 Feb 2011

Thanks both I should have looked before I posted.

hssutton 19:22 01 Feb 2011

I would imagine that you will have the same experience at Amazon. However the way forward is simple as when the password (pin) is requested click on forgot password, you will then be required to create another password over a secured Visa/Securecode web page.

I have so many passwords that I'm always forgeting my Visa/mastercard passwords resulting in the same problem as you, only takes a few minutes to rectify.

You say you have never had to supply a password before, but the fact that you are asked for one suggests that you did, as you are initially given the choice for this further card protection.

birdface 22:32 01 Feb 2011

I know that I have never been asked for a password or pin number from any company as I am not sure what it is myself.
Maybe I pressed something or ticked something that I should not have but never knowingly applied for it.

spuds 17:09 02 Feb 2011

Ebuyer have made a number of changes regarding payment, and additional safety checks. I now find it much easier to pay them via PayPal.

If you lose your Ebuyer password, then its best to contact an adviser who will provide a new 40 minute password to get into your account. In the 40 minutes, you will need to reset the temporary password to one of your own making, otherwise its back to square one.

Regarding Visa verification, I have had problems with this in the past, but now it seems to have sorted itself out.

961 17:46 02 Feb 2011

Careful when using a credit card to fund payments by PayPal as the protection offered by s75 of the consumer credit act does not always work when a third party payment system is involved

It may be that protection offered by Visa chargeback can also be affected

birdface 16:09 04 Feb 2011

Anybody tell me if this one is ok From Aldi.

click here

Aldi shop just up the road from me so can pick one up Ok.
Dearer than the one I was going to purchace at E-buyer but appears to be a far better buy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?