DVD recorder with HDD or TV Tuner card?

Deb-232479 11:36 02 Aug 2006

Since the tv tuner in my Sony Vaio appears to have packed in, I'm wondering what to replace it with.

I thought I'd really prefer a pci tv card for my newer pc, but trawling the internet is putting me off somewhat. Does anyone out there have a setup that works well? Would a DVD recorder with hard disk drive to plug into my tele be the better, more reliable option? If so, would I be able to connect my old VCR to it to transfer VHS tapes to DVD?

Deb

Pamy 13:43 02 Aug 2006

Hiya, not sure what you realy want. Do you want to replace the TV tuner card in you computer, or do you just want to spend some money to chear yourself up? I cannot see relationship between the two options you have given

Stuartli 14:09 02 Aug 2006

My best mate, who runs an independent audio/visual/appliances store, stocks the very highly regarded Humax products.

These include the Humax PVR 9200 (see click here) and he's sold a fair few of them, along with the equally excellent F2-FOX-T2 Freeview set top box.

Or you could consider a Freeview PCI TV card on the lines of my Twinhan DVB-ter D+A (Digital + Analogue), which can be used to record to the hard disk from games consoles, VCRs etc or the TV programmes themselves.

Deb-232479 14:34 02 Aug 2006

Thanks for that, Stuartli. I haven't even heard of Humax but the equipment looks very interesting. I'll give it some thought.

Pamy - I'm trying to record from my vhs vcr to dvd and also from live tv to dvd. The computer is very useful in this for editing and also for setting up dvd menus. I've no idea how I would achieve this with just a stand-alone dvd recorder.

Pamy 14:50 02 Aug 2006

The separate DVD recorder would record your VHS tapes and live TV. If you recorded to a DVD disc perhaps you could put this in your computer and transfer to your HDD then edit etc as you have been doing.

Deb-232479 19:37 02 Aug 2006

Thanks Pamy, yes that's what I was thinking.

Does anyone have experience of this? I'm not sure what format a stand-alone dvd recorder uses to write to the disc. Would it be vob. files? I could work with that.

Stuartli 23:01 02 Aug 2006

The Humax 9200 has USB2.0 MPEG A/V file transfer between Duovisio and a PC (not sure if it's MPEG2 or 4).

Specifications here:

click here

As you will have gathered, it's a 160GB hard drive model - eBay's Sidni7's suggestion is for DVD recorders that use DVD blank disks which you have obviously realised.

Details of the various formats used at:

click here

slimbo51 10:27 03 Aug 2006

I use a Nebula PCI TV Card complete with Freeview.

Brilliant bit of kit, worked straight out of box with no problems.

Enables record to H/drive and cut to Dvdr.

Not the cheapest by any means £100 but with freview, and a seperate card reader can be purchased to allow Top Up TV if requried.

The main feature of this card to me is the S/Ware and drivers. They auto detect properly and the auto tune finds every station.

You will probably need a wideband digital roof aerial though, to make full use of Freeview.

Deb-232479 10:52 03 Aug 2006

Thanks for your comments, slimbo51. Can you tell me a bit more about it? I just went to the Nebula website but couldn't pick out the one you're using.

It's good to hear about someone with a positive experience of pci tv tuners for a change! I wonder if you have a particularly good setup? What's your system spec?

Stuartli 12:33 03 Aug 2006

My Twinhan Freeview PCI card, mentioned earlier, does an excellent job, although I prefer to use ShowShifter rather than the Twinhan software for much of the time.

Price is around £45, but you can get stick USB types now for around £25-30.

Deb-232479 13:07 03 Aug 2006

Just been to the Showshifter website. I like the look of it and it's very cheap too, compared with others like SageTV which I didn't take to.

Stuartli, have you ever used Sony GigaPocket? That's what I've been used to and it was great for what I wanted. Just wondered how Showshifter compares? Anyone else have experience of both?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?