Duplicate file remover

Dannyb 19:19 21 Feb 2007

I am looking for the best and easiest to use programme that will scan my hard drives for duplicate files and then delete them. Has anybody any experience of these programmes that could advise me which programme would be best. Thanks.

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:22 21 Feb 2007

very confident I would be careful deleting duplicate files. Most software I've seen for the job can identify candidates easily enough, but they normally come with a health warning only to delete if you are sure. I'm not aware of any software that can advise what's safe to delete and what's not.

I am Spartacus 21:36 21 Feb 2007

I use DupKiller from click here but as mentioned above be very careful how you use it. I copy the folders I'm examining onto a separate hard drive and test it on there first (after doing backups).

terryf 23:21 21 Feb 2007

Duplicate File finder The website for DFF is: click here.

adrenial 12:05 19 Dec 2009

If i get u right you should use a tool to delete files duplicate from the drives, i use duplicate finder 2009 for such aim.

Find Here : click here

sunnystaines 18:59 19 Dec 2009

in my view I avoid duplicate file finders as there often cause havoc by deleting the wrong files.

Strawballs 16:56 20 Dec 2009

Nearly 3yrs ago when this thread was started there would have been no such program

KremmenUK 07:28 24 Dec 2009

Sunnystaines is right. Applications use microsoft DLL's to save programmers having to code various routines that are already inbuilt.

However, over the years the DLL's change and become incompatible so you will sometimes find that the required DLL is also included within the applications 'Program Files' folder.

They do this because Windows will always search for a DLL firstly in the appropriate Program Files folder, then System32 then System.

If the Program Files 'duplicate' is removed because there is another version in System32 then it may stop the application from working.

Similarly, some cleaners remove empty files. Another mistake in some cases as some programs require files to be in existence and they get populated during runtime.

As well as DLL's, OCX's perform in a similar manner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?