Dual or Quad core processor ????

Lissy2 18:40 03 Nov 2007

Hi, am doing some research into which PC to buy, and am unsure whether I should go for a dual core processor with 3.0 Ghz for example, or a quad core processor with a lower 2.4 Ghz, even if it costs me a little bit extra.
Please can anyone advise as to which of these would be the best, I'm a little confused. Does a quad give any significant speed advantages ???

Apart from that, is it the amount of memory or size of hard drive that I should be looking at maximising for within my budget ??? I have upto £700 to spend on a good all round machine.

Thanks for any advice.
Lissy

Joe R 19:08 03 Nov 2007

Lissy2,

what are the main uses going to be on your system.?

Totally-braindead 19:32 03 Nov 2007

Until programs are written to specifically take advantage of quad core I personally can't see the point.
Of course I could be wrong here but as far as I know theres nothing written to take advantage of quad core. Yet.

MrBen CI:-) 19:38 03 Nov 2007

Dual Core would enable to run 2 applications at the same time with little differectly provided you have enough RAM.

Quad Core means technicaly you could run 4 applications at the same time.
The only real benefit of Dual Core at the moment are Servers & those that number crunch for projects like WorldCommunity Grid etc.

100andthirty 20:17 03 Nov 2007

some video conversion programmes and programmes that make a composite file from lots of idividual video clips, can use multiple cores. Sony Vegas Movie Studio 6 is one such. If you do lots of this then quad core would be useful to you.

Someone will confirm, I'm sure, but doesn't windows sort out which programmes use which core?

Lissy2 22:15 03 Nov 2007

Thx all for replies. It obviously sounds as though I have no use for a quad processor. I just want a general machine for average use of music tracks (downloading, burning etc); photos (I guess up to a few thousand pics given time); and playing some online games; and usual office software.
So any further recommendations as to speed, memory etc I should be looking at, would be gratefully received. I do have limited budget, and would like my new pc to last a good few years. My current one is over 9 years old LOL.

Thanks all
Lissy
xx

Totally-braindead 22:35 03 Nov 2007

Something like this click here and add a 19" monitor should do you.

I would point out one possible problem with it as someone else has already commented about this particular PC in another thread. The graphics card is pretty good and good enough for many if not most games and I suppose it would now be classed as a budget card BUT the latest games that have just come out like Crysis (I think thats spelt right) demand a very powerful graphics card and I don't know if you could get a powerful PC with a really powerful graphics card which could play this game with all options on within your budget as the powerful cards I am talking about retail at about the £170 mark and above.

Totally-braindead 22:37 03 Nov 2007

Gamings the problem Lissy2, if you're not into the latest high tech games that need the most powerful PCs then you could easily get something within your budget.

PS Novatech PCs come without monitors thats why I said you would add one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone