DSGI/PC World - Not Honouring Vista PCs Warranty?

SimpleSimon1 09:53 28 Jan 2008

Has anybody else seen Guy Kewney's column in the March PCW magazine (sory FE, occasionally my eyes stray from the 'One True Path')?

It would seem that DSGI/PC World have taken a position that, if you buy a Vista PC and replace Vista with your own copy of XP, they will specifically deny resposnbility for the warranty cos you've made a change to the 'as suppled' config!

Mr K writes that he's received several different reports of this happening (so not just one isolated manager) and that one punter had to resort to Trading Standards arbitration to get a piece of case plastic molding replaced under warranty.

This seems incredible. Maybe FE and some of the other forum regulars who are well-up on consumer rights would care to comment.

So, if anyone was planning to get their granny a 'cheap as chips' Vista PC and put good old reliable XP on it, this might be something to take into account.....

Gobsmacked!

ventanas 10:04 28 Jan 2008

What did you expect, you remove a perfectly good operating system and replace it with something obsolete, which means you also have to install a full set of different drivers so that everything will work, so that apart from the hardware, the computer is totally different from that purchased. I don't blame them.

SimpleSimon1 10:28 28 Jan 2008

Software dependent issues, maybe.

But what about physical damage? your screen goes poof, your power supply goes bang, cd/dvd drive fails, plastic molding falls off etc. etc.

These are all things that have happened to kit of mine over the years I'be been buying PCs and these are all things that I'd expect the supplier's warranty to cover!

spuds 10:28 28 Jan 2008

If people intend to use or reformat XP on a computer that was purchased with Vista installed. Then I can only assume that the retailer would be concerned, especially if a software problem occurred during the warranty period.

There are still quite a lot of new build computers out there, with the option and choice of Vista or XP pre-installed at time of purchase, if the customer requires it.

If its a proven component failure, and nothing to do with software, then I do not see how avoidance of consumer law would apply.In this particular event, I wonder what DSG/PCW's actual reply was to trading standards!.

SimpleSimon1 10:50 28 Jan 2008

According to Mr.K, they caved!

However, this doesn't change the fact that, according to him, this policy has been confirmed to a corporate buyer who was interested in buying cheap 1Gb Vista PCs (not really enough for Vista) and switching them over to XP Pro (more than enough to run office-based XP, happily).

Ok, in the specific case mentioned, they caved when trading standards got involved, but who needs the extra hassle?

ForestChav 18:10 29 Jan 2008

Well, if the fault isn't clear cut and might be a software or hardware problem they might want to try it on the original factory supplied OS to eliminate ones crap XP install from the equation?

mikeben121 22:02 29 Jan 2008

Obviously they been taking a leaf out of the book of the insurance companies. Find any excuse not to pay.

Whereas I can circumstances under which software could affect hardware (overclocking the Graphics card using overclocking software ) the idea that a OS could fry the electronics or cuase a piece of plastic to fall off is laughable.

Just goes to prove that supermarket techniques are not a good way to sell PCs.

STREETWORK 22:12 29 Jan 2008

'specifically deny resposnbility for the warranty cos you've made a change to the 'as suppled' config!'
-------------------------------

Could this affect the up and coming Service Pack, modification to the operating sytem, by Microsoft, invalidating the warrentee on the whole PC? just a passing thought...

ForestChav 19:52 30 Jan 2008

"Could this affect the up and coming Service Pack, modification to the operating sytem, by Microsoft, invalidating the warrentee on the whole PC? just a passing thought..."

No, but if any problems exist afterwards then they might want to try it on a clean HDD anyway.

xania 11:35 31 Jan 2008

I don't see any problem. Surely, all you need to do is reinstall Vista using the recovery process and then their argument goes out of the window. Although, who knows in this day and age - replacing XP with Vista might even repair that broken piece of plastic and then PC World might actually be shown to be right - now was that flying pig pink? or green!!

Forum Editor 18:35 31 Jan 2008

and not a local decision by store managers, it seems rather a petty way to treat customers. The Windows version on the hard drive is very unlikely to have a bearing on hardware failure, although it would probably be necessary to install a raft of new drivers when the software retro-grade was done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone