Dropbox

superhoops 00:15 16 Feb 2009

I have been trying out a program called Dropbox
click here. If you have 2 computers at home, or maybe one at work and one at home this is a brilliant way to keep your files synchronised. If you are away from your pc;'s you can access your files that you have put in yr dropbox from any pc with internet access. Is also useful to share photos or if you want to put a screenshot on this forum this saves having to upload it to Photobucket, the program will supply a public weblink. Its free and for me is the most useful piece of free software I can remember.
Hope this info is of use to someone

Forum Editor 00:56 16 Feb 2009

that superhoops is a regular forum member, and is not spamming us with this information.

superhoops 01:00 16 Feb 2009

F.E I suppose it does look like that. Just that I have found this program so useful I wanted to pass it on.

Forum Editor 01:11 16 Feb 2009

to Microsoft's Live Spaces, or Microsoft Office Live Workspace (which I use a lot).

The Live Workspace allows me to upload thousands of files to my own secure workspace and access them from any computer, anywhere in the world. I can also share documents with other people, create notes online, and generally work with my files wherever I am, without the need to carry any files around with me. I can use a 'bare' laptop, so if it's lost or stolen nobody has access to my data.

The workspace is free to home and business users of Microsoft Office, but business accounts get the added facility of a web-site design tool, plus various extras - some of which are free and some that you have to pay for.

Dropbox works in a similar way, but what concerns me slightly about the service is this, in their terms and conditions of use (their caps, not mine):

YOU CONSENT TO ALLOW DROPBOX TO ACCESS YOUR COMPUTER TO ACCESS ANY FILES THAT ARE PLACED IN THE 'MY DROPBOX,' 'DROPBOX' FOLDERS, AND/OR ANY OTHER FOLDER WHICH YOU CHOOSE TO LINK TO DROPBOX

superhoops 07:48 16 Feb 2009

I take your point about the conditions. For me, however, there is nothing that I would worry about if someone else accessed it.I use it mainly for keeping my "Acemoney" program up to date on both the desktop and laptop ( the file is password protected) and EssentialPim synchronized on both.
What I find particularly handy is that you don't have to access your files from the web(although you can if you are not using your own pc's). I have both programs save automatically to the Dropbox folder on the pc's and then the updated file is there in the Dropbox on the other pc's desktop immediately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?