Downloading software from the web - paranoid user

HXP 23:02 05 Jan 2006

Hi all

I looked at the posting 'audio conversion wav to mp3'

and various software downlaods from the web suggested - my question is if I install these how can i be sure thay are free from virus/spyware/malware ?

For example someone suggested the link below and no suggestion they are being anything other than honest but is it just a risk you decide to take or am i just very paranoid ? link was -

I use Switch from click here

SG Atlantis® 23:05 05 Jan 2006

It looks good enough.

You should scan all downloads from the net.

There is always a slight risk when you download software, I try to seek opinions on things first before I try...

DieSse 23:28 05 Jan 2006

*my question is if I install these how can i be sure thay are free from virus/spyware/malware ?*

By having an efficient AV program. click here is the best, and automatically scans inside zipped files - and scans downloads as they download too.

Forum Editor 23:31 05 Jan 2006

Well, to be honest I suppose the short answer is - you can't.

You can be pretty sure however, and that process starts with a good look at the download site. The site you've linked to has all the right credentials - the company has been in existence for 13 years (an eternity in the software business), and a few minutes spent browsing the site should be enough to reassure you that you are probably safe to download.

Having said that, you should ensure that you are running up to date spyware and anti-virus software before attempting to open a downloaded file.

€dstowe 06:44 06 Jan 2006

Before installing anything at all: hardware, software from download, software from disk, ensure that you make a full backup of your system.

If anything untoward does happen, whether malware or faulty download/install, you then have something that you can fall back on to get your machine back to how it should be.

HXP 20:37 06 Jan 2006

In particular the FE who confirms that you have to be vigilant and I guess intelligent about what you download and run.

Happy new year to you all and a plague on all virus/spyware/malware authors ( and Sony for their efforts in furthering security breaches on innocent consumers ) :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017