Download me out of business

rupie 00:23 22 Jan 2004

I have a portfolio if photo images on the internet. It is vital to my photographic business. If people copy the images and do not pay me I will go out of business. I have copyright but no chance of chasing people around the world for fees. Now that people download everything for nothing they think they have the right to. I am not sony or another global conglomorate who you think is ripping us all off but 1 bloke trying to pay the morgage. Yes I agree that why should we pay over the odds for cd's so that Robbie Williams can get a fortune. So why do people think They have the right to rob EBVERYTHING off the net, whatever the site.

Forum Editor 01:03 22 Jan 2004

but you can take action to beat them.

The first thing to do is to disable the right click function, so people can't take your images that way.

paste this code into Notepad, and then paste it into the HEAD of your page's HTML:-

<HEAD>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

<!-- Begin
function protect(e) {
alert("Sorry, you don't have permission to right-click.");
return false;
}

function trap() {
if(document.images)
for(i=0;i<document.images.length;i++)
document.images[i].onmousedown = protect;
}
// End -->
</SCRIPT>

Now do the same to this, but this time put it into the BODY tag:-

<BODY OnLoad="trap()">

<p><center>
<font face="arial, helvetica" size="-2">Free JavaScripts provided<br>
by <a href="click here">The JavaScript Source</a></font>
</center><p>

That will stop the right-clickers, but they'll still be able to take the image by making a screen grab of your page. Some people use your images by linking to them from their own sites, and you can stop that by using an HTACCESS script on your server, but that's a good deal more complicated.

Otherwise you can put watermarks on your images. That won't stop people from taking them, but it will mean they won't be of much use to them. If you want more information about how to do this, post a thread in WebDesign - this is really a subject for that forum.

Jester2K 07:31 22 Jan 2004

click here

Don't ask me how to use it cos i can't get FrtontPage to upload any .htaccess files onto my Blueyonder Page.

Sir Radfordin 08:29 22 Jan 2004

FE - didn't think you liked the 'disable right click' function. My view is to anyone with a reasonable amount of knowledge it does nothing at all to stop them taking what they want. Noticed the other day in Opera I think you can left click and drag images off the page anyway.

There have been various articles in Personal Computer World (yes other mags do exist) about protecting images using PHP/Database type ideas. May be worth seeing if you can get your hands on back copies.

Patr100 13:38 22 Jan 2004

Yes, there are ways around the common anti-saving measures. IE 6's built in picture tool bar (with save) will usually appear regardless of the right click disablement.

Two options are to always have low res images that won't print out well and possible some sort of Javascript driven gallery.

Sir Radfordin 14:04 22 Jan 2004

One option would be to put a 'spoiler' across the images you upload - something like (C) XXX company - then when people paid for the real image you could provide it for them.

Hyperangelic 15:43 22 Jan 2004

Watermark the images or put a label right across them, making it impossible for people to use them if downloaded, but making it possible for people to see them.

Sheila-214876 17:31 22 Jan 2004

Unfortunately, the Internet cannot be policed, and is classed as "public domain". What concerns me is why you haven't protected this website (which you haven't given us a link to) with a password. I have a website with personal photo's on but only those who have been given a password can access it.

Sir Radfordin 17:43 22 Jan 2004

I don't think the Internet is called as 'public domain' at all and nor should it be.

Forum Editor 19:06 22 Jan 2004

where copyright-protected work is concerned. Publishing a picture on a web site is exactly the same as publishing it in a magazine - it's illegal to copy or distribute it from the magazine, and it's illegal to do it from a web site.

As I said in my previous post, you can watermark the images, although this won't stop people taking them. Disabling the right-click will stop them from copying them, but as I said, anyone can take a screen grab of the image if it's on its own page.

I didn't mention password protection because I assumed that you are using your site as a sales aid - you mentioned paying the mortgage - so password protection isn't an option.

hoop 19:22 22 Jan 2004

It seems a bit naive to me that someone who wants to display photo`s and sell them from a website didn`t first investigate protection issues, especially if this is intended to be your main source of income and/or as vital to protect as you say.

Piracy on the web isn`t a new thing, and copying photo`s is as old as the means to do it. As people here have said, putting logo`s or some kind of watermark through the photo`s (similar to what they do with school pics), would be a start.

A link to your site would have been nice, even if just to see where you ask people not to copy without payment first.

J

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?