Donations for free programmes

anniesboy 06:53 03 Aug 2007

I am well aware many users of this forum use a variety of freeware programmes.
Many of these request donations to support there ongoing costs and development etc.
Given that it is said by some that you get what you pay for. And by some there is no such thing as a free lunch for example.
What approach do users take?

laurie53 07:50 03 Aug 2007

If I'm still using it after a month or so I donate.

I send a further donation if I use the programme to do something that other programmes can't, e.g. I had a disc burning problem recently which Nero couldn't solve, but CDBurnerXPPro did.

beynac 07:51 03 Aug 2007

A lot of freeware is very good. Some of it is better than the paid-for equivalent. I believe that there is such a thing as a free lunch with software. I try out quite a bit of free software. If I like a program, and intend to use it on my computer, I will donate a small sum to the developer (if this is requested). This is only fair. Some do not ask for donations. They are giving away software, for personal use, in order to promote their business software or more fully-featured versions. I will update to full versions if I consider it worth while.

You have to be careful with a number of free anti-spyware programs - there are rogues out there! Find out a bit about them (Google, ask on this forum etc.) and check the Spyware Warrior rogue list: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?