Domain name fee renewal

VNAM75 03:36 19 Mar 2010

I'm being charged £20 to renew the hosting of my website. £13 is for the web space and £7 is for an "annual domain name renewal" When I set up my website I paid a 2 years registration fee of the domain name. Are these 2 fees separate? I don't want to be charged twice. If they are is £20 reasonable for a one year renewal? My site takes up about 80mb webspace.

961 08:54 19 Mar 2010

Domain names (for .co.uk at least) are organised by an organisation called Nominet. If you go to their web site click here you can get all the details and check your own registration

I see they say single registration is now charged at £80, which seems megasteep, but most folks get theirs through a third party where the fee is much smaller

Hosting is separate and charges vary widely

.com registrations are no doubt done through a similar mechanism

spuds 18:08 19 Mar 2010

The annual £20 for hosting and £13 for web space doesn't seem bad at all, depending on how its being hosted. Domains are usually based on either one or two year renewals (co.uk usually 2 years). I use 1&1 and all their rates went up awhile ago.

Best to check with the Nominet link and your domain/host company, for their terms and conditions.

Would perhaps also mention, that Nominet no longer send automatic renewal certificate notification. You now register to open an account, then download a certificate or certificates as and when you want them. Their database and question response times are now very good.

Graham. 23:16 19 Mar 2010

I don't pay anything for hosting, Microsoft do it for free click here, click here, click here

961 15:06 20 Mar 2010

have you the link for that service?

Do they also provide renewal with Nominet for .co.uk addresses?

Graham. 22:30 21 Mar 2010
  Graham. 22:42 21 Mar 2010

You will get a URL address in the format 'yoursite'.web.officelive.com.

You can arrange to purchase a domain name through Office Live to forward to that, or you can buy elsewhere, eg. click here and use that.

If you buy your own, it is up to you to renew when requested by the domain host.

961 08:53 22 Mar 2010

Many thanks

My current ISP is trying to virtually double the charges and I need to move my existing domain name etc before getting a mac code

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?