Dodgy Sky Calls

laurie53 19:40 15 Jun 2009

I've had two phone calls today, ostensibly from Sky.

"I'm calling from Sky. Do you have a subscription to Sky?"

"Well if you're from Sky you'd already know that wouldn't you?"

"Well this is just a courtesy call in case you're having trouble"

"If I was having trouble I'd report it to Sky"

"Yes, well, we're just updating our records. Do you pay by Direct Debit through your bank account?"

Thank you and goodbye. No doubt the next question would have been, "We just need to update your bank account details"

Beware!

simonjary 22:25 15 Jun 2009

Yes, you'd think that Sky would know you were a customer.

Sounds like number of phone/email/web scams are increasing by nature of recent forum posts.

Covergirl 12:41 16 Jun 2009

I missed them all, but it showed on Caller Display. They went through to answerphone twice but they hung up just after the beep.

We're due to go digital on 24th June - I wonder if there's a connection . . . . ? I have registered with TPF and get very few of these calls.

I like to think I'm too aware to get caught out, but the warning is appreciated.

Colin 13:05 16 Jun 2009

I rejoined Sky after two years in early May this year. About a week after the installation, I started to receive a lot of calls with numbers beginning 0800, 0845 etc. I have caller ID and don’t answer any of these sort of numbers. After Googling the numbers they came up as various satellite equipment insurance companies. What a coincidence! How did they get my number? I am cynical so am I right to think that someone at Sky is passing subscribers’ phone numbers on to these companies?

g0slp 14:42 16 Jun 2009

I think that it's a reasonable conclusion to draw, Colin.

I've just had a similar experience with one of the Mobile telcos...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?