Do you use a mono laser at home?

Diemmess 16:41 10 Mar 2009

For most of this decade I have used an Epson photo colour printer only for pictures.

For everyday printing, notes or scraps copied from browsing, to documents of several pages for various local organisations where I play publisher or secretary I use an Epson EPL5800.

It is fundamentally a good printer. Fine sharp text, and surprisingly good greyscale photo prints.
It has been economical with toner (last replaced 2004.)Since then the workload has dropped significantly with email or attached pdf becoming the norm.

But its paper handling is atrocious. From its early days it tries to gather as much paper as it can and then of course jams!
I had probably the best ever premium phone call with an approved agent who told me what to do in less than 60 seconds.
Recommended "revival" of friction pads no longer works and trying to print more than 2or 3 pages particularly the second side, is doomed to fail and waste more paper.

........So if you have a similar workload and use a mono laser, is it relatively snag free?
I'm seriously thinking about replacement.
Not bargain basement ---(this EPL5800 was in its day, though its price tag then was around £300), design sometimes is compromised by need to keep the price down.

A smallish footprint please, approx. 38cms wide?
Good fine printing and if reflex printing is included these days, so much the better.

Colour printing I think will either make the machine very expensive or risk all sorts not being quite up to the mark.

I don't feel brand loyal. I do value hearing from anyone who like me depends on a mono laser for most of the printing work.

Why wont it work 16:56 10 Mar 2009

We use an elderly HP 4050DTN at home for 99% of our printing (although even then it isn't used particularly heavily for the most part). It's been superb, it was 2nd hand (£20 on ebay with toner) and had done 180,000 prints but is still going strong! The duplex drive is very useful too, cuts down on paper useage.

Before that though we had a HP Laserjet 4000TN and that was very good- it only died after the cat decided to use it as a litter tray. And even before than we had a Lasterjet 4 or something- anyway the point is that HP seem to make very good laser printers from what I have experienced, so they might be good to look at.

We used to have an old Konica (I think it was)- and you practically had to push the paper through yourself, dreadful thing, was forever jamming. I'm afraid I can't give you any help on any recent models of laser printer though.

PalaeoBill 17:05 10 Mar 2009

I have been using a HP Laserjet 5 from new, day in day out for what must be ten years now.
It had original toners in it in the early days but I buy the £30 generics now and then refill a few times before sending them for recycling. I managed to refill the last one four times before the print quality degraded. It costs around £7 in toner to refill the cart.
The jet direct print server died on me a few years ago and I had to replace it but the printer has worked without a problem and it gets worked pretty hard.
My neighbour got one from a council auction (along with a cople of Dell/Trinitron CRT's) recently and he is most pleased with it. I imagine the concil may regret their 'upgrade' to shiny new kit.

wiz-king 14:58 11 Mar 2009

I have a couple of HL-1030s,a HL-1230 and a HL-2040, all made by Brother and they all work well. I also have two Brother fax machines built on the same chassis as the HL-1030.
I have found that some 'own brand' toners give very iffy results so I now buy only Brother toners.
I usually buy printers from Misco click here and get toner from Touchstone click here

jack 17:27 11 Mar 2009

but I can say this ittle beastie that I purchased at Christmas from PC World for pennies less than £100 is great.
Good bye Inkjets

click here

Diemmess 18:09 11 Mar 2009

Just the sort of post I was hoping for.

No decision yet ......... Jack I avoided mentioning colour, tempting as it is.
I believe that satisfactory photoprints would shove the cost way up to serious money.

If I stick with my wish for a robust mono machine capable of reflex printing, and neither too heavy to move, nor too exotic for the use I give it, that is the way I should go.

Anyone out there to add current models to the mono list without being monolithic in size?

jack 08:07 12 Mar 2009

I believe that satisfactory photoprints would shove the cost way up to serious money?
A laser cannot compete with a Photo Ink- Jet on best behavior[not always available] but the quality is acceptable- There is some move afoot also in producing a Laser Gloss paper
I tried some and was not impressed and got a refund from the supplier - but I guess they will get there - eventually.

Diemmess 09:41 12 Mar 2009

Jack has indirectly made my point.

I'm prepared to go to a slightly higher price for a mono printer which will give me top quality and solid reliability.
Hopefully a clean run of say 20 copies, without a sign of jamming.
Automatic reflex printing without undue fuss.

I would like to hear of anyone's experience with
click here

jack 10:09 12 Mar 2009

Here

click here=

jack 10:15 12 Mar 2009

Try it this way- click here Computers.com
Samsung ML-2850D 28 Page/Min Duplex Laser Printer - Brand New With Samsung On-Site warranty
< Back

View Larger Image
[£59.99 ex VAT]
[£68.99 inc VAT]

jack 10:17 12 Mar 2009

me. the links arn't going as they should
Morgan Computers is the firm

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?