Do I need to overclock/ water cool?

Viowithcrailtap 15:47 08 Oct 2013

Hey Guys,

I'm making the move from console to pc and aiming to play BF4 mainly.

I've read about overclocking and I'm not sure I need to, is there an advantage or does it just give a small increase in performance?

Also is water cooling needed? I've read good things about Noctua heat sinks and Corsair water kits so any input would help.

I've narrowed most my components down to:

MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr GPU i5 3570K CPU Corsair 200R Case Corsair CX 600w PSU 120-180gb SSD (either Samsung/ Corsair/ Kingston) 12 gb ram (2 x 4gb + 2 x 2gb) Corsair or Kingston

I'm not sure on Motheboards so recommendations are welcome.

nickf 18:16 10 Oct 2013

I currently run an i7 3770k overclocked with a H100 Watercooler . Really happy with performance. As to your MoBo choice , that rather depends on budget . I run a z77 sabretooth , a great gaming MoBo . It certainly wont hurt performance overclocking and watercooling , it all comes down to your budget . I would go for the biggest SSD you can , and try to squeeze your budget to up the memory to 16 gb . Good luck .

Viowithcrailtap 10:11 11 Oct 2013

I've looked at either Asus P8Z77 V LX2 or MSI Gaming motherboard. I could possibly stretch to a 250gb SSD.

nickf 13:03 12 Oct 2013

Both boards are ok , I use a 240 Gb SSD , as my boot drive , and a 1 Tb HDD for all the bulky stuff .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?