Do I need a 22 screen to watch video

chris_rolly 19:33 23 Mar 2008

Im buying a new PC and am tempted to spend extra on a 22 inch screen so I can watch downloaded video ( I only have a old medium sized TV)

Is this a good idea or should I buy a new TV if I can afford one next year and try to hook up my pc to the TV?

tullie 19:42 23 Mar 2008

Its up to you,you can watch them on any size you want,i find my monitor quite ok.

SB23 19:58 23 Mar 2008

Its a brilliant idea if you can afford it, but I agree with tullie.

A few weeks ago, I ended up watching one of my many dvd's on a portable 7" player, and to be honest that was ok too!

Stuartli 20:18 23 Mar 2008

The 22" (or even 24") monitor would be a nice touch in any case.

But probably the main difference between one of these and a smaller monitor (or TV) is that you will sit nearer or further away from the screen depending on its size.

Totally-braindead 22:21 23 Mar 2008

As the others have said its up to you but if by downloaded video you mean things like YouTube videos I find that even on a 17" TFT if I view it full screen its a poor image and it would be worse on a 22" screen.

Its not the fault of the screen or the graphics card its the quality of the video in the first place. Having said that if you view the YouTube vids in the original size on a 22" it should look about the same qualitywise as on a smaller screen. But watching something like this full screen wouldn't be very good.

A film should be a completely different thing though, if its a good monitor it should look great and the same for games.

lisa02 22:58 23 Mar 2008

Stuartli is right about sitting positions I have a 22inch Samsung as it's pushed as far back as it can on the desk. I was even tempted to wall mount it and take it off the desk altogether.

But having a 22 is excellent for photos, video and gaming. It's great having two web pages open side by side as I often do reading forums.

Rob_08 00:13 24 Mar 2008

I changed my 22 for a 20, it was just way too wide to work comfortably in CS3. Games still look great tho and movies.

jack 09:14 24 Mar 2008

I guess you will have to sit in your normal position.
Then go look at the larger screens and view from that distance.
Even with LCD's the bigger the screen/the closer you get the coarser the image.
I have a 19 inch Philips LCD monitor.
My optimum viewing distance appears to be 20 inches.
But though this may seem to be a near correlation viewing distance/screen size I guess all our eyes are different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?