Diskeeper Defrag Any Good ?

iscanut 21:09 29 Apr 2007

Am running a trial version of Diskeeper Defrag. Is it worth paying £20+ for the full version or should I just continue with Windows own offering. Is there an advantage in using the commercial software ?

Shortstop 21:16 29 Apr 2007

Hi,

Firstly, some people say that Defraggers are not worth paying for but I use Diskeeper 2007 and IMHO yes, it is worth the [relatively little] money asked for.

I have tried freebie defraggers but found these cumbersome then a friend gave me a trial version of this and found it much more user-friendly and less complicated. It may just be me but the speed up after the initial defrag WAS noticable - although I cannot honestly say the same about later defrags.

It defrags in the background and allows you to continue to use the PC while it is active. I also have the scheduler turned on so there is nothing more for me to do and this also checks the condition of my hard drive and is set to warn me if there is a problem found.

Yes, I think that this is a lot better than the Windows-included version.

HTH

Paul

Steve- 21:30 29 Apr 2007

I agree with Shortstop, I started with the trial version of Diskeeper Pro, then decided that that version of Pro was a bit pricey so bought the full version of 2007 Home, it runs in the background and I'm not even aware it is there. Far better than Windows defrag which sometimes took a day to run then left many fragmented files.

iscanut 21:30 29 Apr 2007

Thanks for your view.

iscanut 21:31 29 Apr 2007

Thanks also

provider 2 21:45 29 Apr 2007

Apologies if I seem to be attempting to hyjack your thread. That is not my intention. It`s just that I was wondering if this kind of automatic defrag would prevent System Restore points from being made since XP waits for about 12 minutes of inactivity before doing its thing.

Stuartli 23:15 29 Apr 2007

I find that IOBit SmartDefrag does all that is required and it's freeware - it will also defrag automatically in the background if configured to do so, unlike the Diskeeper Lite version, which is very similar.

click here

jarani 23:46 29 Apr 2007

Stuartli - thankyou - seems perfect - jarani

smokingbeagle 23:56 29 Apr 2007

click here

Been using it for about 3 months. Excellent. They offered it to me for half price after the trial period.

Steve- 08:33 30 Apr 2007

My XP system still creates daily system restore checkpoints, with diskeeper running.

provider 2 10:20 30 Apr 2007

Steve

Thanks for that. I like the idea of automatic defrag but put off installing it in case it might interfere with System Restore; but clearly you have proven otherwise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?