Digital photography software

User-42BE0B3A-FC75-4118-BB8E1390237F847E 12:43 20 Mar 2005

I use Adobe Photoshop, PSP and the software that came with cameras (Olympus Camedia and Kodak)to manipulate digital images (although not to the full capabilities of the software).
Increasingly with magazines (eg PCA), we are being unindated with freebie software (Ulead, Photoimpact, ProPixel etc etc) that promises all sorts of easily performed "tricks".
The question is simply "Does any of these freebies do anything different or does the software I use do it all anyway?"

pj123 12:48 20 Mar 2005

The short answer, Yes.

Photoshop is the best on the market with PSP probably a close second. I use both and like you, not to their full capability but I'm learning.

anchor 14:12 20 Mar 2005

I agree entirely with pj123. The only other one I could suggest, (and find handy on occasions), is Microsoft digital imaging suite. I would not bother with the others.

click here

If you want to experiment, the free Irfanview may be worth a look.

click here

grisler 16:08 20 Mar 2005

I hope this is of some use.

I am a recent subsciber to DIGITAL PHOTO mag,
and with the mag you get a CD with video lessons mostly photoshop 7,cs and elements, showing you how to minipulate your pics.
there is also advise on how to take better pics.
I find the whole mag very usefull.

Thanks for answers. The consensus seems to be Photoshop and learn how to use it.

Stuartli 10:02 21 Mar 2005

If you just need, at any time, to undertake straightforward manipulation of a digital pic file, Picasa2 (now part of the Google empire) is ideal:

click here

oresome 20:36 21 Mar 2005

"The consensus seems to be Photoshop and learn how to use it."

Sound enough conclusion if money is no object, but only serious amateurs will want to spend several hundred pounds on software to tweak photos.

Mike_R 12:37 22 Mar 2005

I started with Olympus Camedia but I now use Photoshop Elements 3 which seems to meet my amateurish needs. I've also got the Canon software but haven't bothered to try it.

GibsonSt19 22:26 22 Mar 2005

What sortof job do you have, to bring in Photoshop type money?!

I try not the break any of the Ten Commandments, but I almost can't help myself coveting your lovely Photoshop.

One day...one day

Aristocatman 20:07 25 Mar 2005

Photoshop is superb for serious work but Picasa2 is excellent you can view all your pictures in organised groups & tweak them a little. histogram & camera setting information can also be displayed.

jack 20:29 25 Mar 2005

Photo Shop
PSP
Photoshop Elements
Photo Suite
are the reccommended ones in that order with my preference being PSP, cos I got it free from this lovely mag.
The really useful advice in all this is
1 do not install soft ware that comes with your camera. It is at best simple get you started stuff
and could put a new digi user in a rut of troubles with up loading images and transferring etc. if post on the Helproom forum are anything to go by.
2 most important of all - Try them, get the hang of them,make your choice and stick with it and learn all the wrinkles of that one and not bits of this and bits of that. what is the old saying
Jack of all trades master of None? Same thing applies
j

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?