The Digital Economy Act and its dangers

961 10:00 12 Apr 2010

click here

The implications of this for the law abiding among us are serious.

One question that occurs to me is whether it is better to have a static isp address or rely on a random allocation every time one logs on

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:34 12 Apr 2010

Errrm, forgive me asking a rather obvious question but if you are not down/uploading copyright material, why worry?

G

Pine Man 10:55 12 Apr 2010

This does appear to overturn the basic principles of British law in that you are normally innocent until proved guilty.

This legislation appears to be precisely the opposite and puts the onus on the person who has the internet connection to prove that he/she did not download the copyrighted material even though their connection might have been hijacked.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:08 12 Apr 2010

Having seen many, many computers, I can assure you that downloading of copyright material is rife, in fact there have been virtually none that were completely clear of pirated stuff (I would happily bet that nearly every teenage has at least one piece of Pirateware on their computer/s).
The plethora of programmes range from hooky copies of software to Limewire, Frostwire, Demonoid, The Pirate Bay and Torrent finders.
People need to be a little more realistic about the scale of the problem and if any of the hand-wringers owned copyright material that was being used and not paid for, they would be screaming the loudest. Pirateware is a massive, massive problem.

G

Pine Man 11:23 12 Apr 2010

I am certainly not condoning illegal downloads for a minute. Merely pointing out that it appears that the onus of proof has changed.

961 11:43 12 Apr 2010

The problem I am concerned about is the fact that if someone demands details of an IP address and the ISP wrongly identifies me as using that particular number at a certain time I am in no position to deny that

Paranoid I may be, but at this end my computers and printers are all connected by cable to avoid any worry about wi-fi. Now I need to prove myself innocent of illegal downloading rather than the court demanding that the accuser prove me guilty

I don't, I'm afraid, regard that as hand wringing

But without a static IP address the number I am randomly allocated when I log on may be used by many others over a 24 hour period, and my ability to argue that at a specific time it was not me using that number is zilch

And I have as much faith in the ISP community getting every single detail right in this monster database as I have in any other stack of records maintained by the government or any commercial organisation

I've always regarded random IP addresses as a protection against specific targeting on the internet, but I think there may now be advantage in a specific number belonging to me

Boghound 18:05 12 Apr 2010

@961

You're wasting your time with reasoned argument with the likes of Gandalf as they hold the view that "if you aren't doing it you shouldn't worry" but what they and their ilk fall to comprehend is that with similar knee-jerk laws being introduced in the UK you are now presumed to be guilty first which goes against the bedrock of what English law was founded on, like the process of having trials without a jury for certain cases, what these people fail to grasp is that it's the thin end of a very thick wedge.....It doesn't matter if it's the "Digital Rights Statute" or even the "Dangerous Dogs Act", or the "Firearms Act"....These laws are rushed through, with scant regard for the consequences, by MP's hoping to collect more votes or keep in well with lobbyists for future positions....After reading Gadalf's....I was amused to see that he nows of a few torrent sites besides Pirate Bay...I wonder if that was down to research, as often is cited for infamous material being found on computers.

spuds 19:23 12 Apr 2010

I couldn't open the link, so not sure what it states, but having read today an article about the way this was rushed through the 'lower house', but had 12 days in the House of Lords. Then it would appear that after the election, there will be further discussions, and amendments, one being Clause 18 of the Bill.

961 19:28 12 Apr 2010

The link relates to an article about digital media in todays guardian.co.uk

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:34 12 Apr 2010

'....After reading Gadalf's (sic)....I was amused to see that he nows (sic) of a few torrent sites besides Pirate Bay' /me shakes head in utter disbelief; please get real, I know about Mozart but I cannot write a note of music. I know about the structure of Chinese language but I have never been there, I know about corporate crime but I have never done it but I do own a large collection of copyright material...seeing a pattern are we?.../triple sigh

G

sunnystaines 21:09 12 Apr 2010

961 does make some very good points to consider, plus the hijack of wifi slim if secure but still possible in experienced hands armed with warez tools.

to prove a case I feel they should sieze the hdd and read though the layers for further evidence to secure the case by comparing it with ISP log sheets.
[the ISP keeps a record of times you log onto net and what sites you visit and times they also log emails sent and recieved and the corresponding emails]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?