The Difference between DVD+RW and DVD-RW

Looking over IT 13:06 03 Nov 2003

I have been asked the above question and Im really not sure of the answer. Can anyone give me a little bit of spiel for me to recite?

choffe 13:45 03 Nov 2003

it is preferance.
two different methods of writing to dvd had been made, and the industry favoured one but manufacturers found the seconed was cheaper and easier to produce, so it became a conflict of interests manufacturer versus the industry sort of thing,
the problem was that 1000's of dvd films and players had allready been produced in the main format so they couldn't just scrap it and start over, so the main format stayed for high street film and players + and the pc market found that the 2nd(-RW) was perfect for data storage and cheaper than it's predecessor although it defeated the object of dvd copying. as you couldn't create a dvd of your family from camcorder and put it on dvd and watch it on your dvd player, so dvd -/+ recording unit's where created for the home pc.
so as i stated at the beginning, it simply is the buyers preference.

Hyperangelic 14:07 03 Nov 2003

As choffe states - without pauses for breath! - it's just two different formats. In the interests of making life interesting, they are incompatible with each other, which is why the latest DVD drives are dual-format, allowing users to use both "+" and "-" discs.

Try click here for further info on the formats issue.

Stuartli 16:06 03 Nov 2003

Of course you can create a DVD from camcorder footage on DVD-RW.....:-)

I've got several, including a compilation my son created from all the camcorder footage of his wedding.

Stuartli 16:06 03 Nov 2003

Of course you can create a DVD from camcorder footage on DVD-RW.....:-)

I've got several, including a compilation my son created from all the camcorder footage of his wedding.

Stuartli 16:14 03 Nov 2003

More coherent explanations of the differences between the - and + DVD versions can be found, for instance, at:

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?