Did I over pay???

Alfresco 18:29 19 Jan 2006

sorry but can anyone tell me if i paid to much for this system. Back in september i trusted a friend of a friend to fix me up with £1100 worth of computer after my old one lost the will to live. i was imprest at the time but as i learn more and hear about things like duel core i'm starting to worry. I just bought F.E.A.R and know need a new G-card as it runs on low detail.
Is it just that it moves on that fast with pc's or should i have looked in to it more befor trusting someone else?

details off belarc!!

2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: RS/RX480SB400
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 01/18/2005
VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
PS/2 Compatible Mouse
USB Root Hub (6x)
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Slot 'A2' has 512 MB
Slot 'A3' is Empty

RADEON X300 Series [Display adapter]
RADEON X300 Series Secondary [Display adapter]
PGE GNR TS700D [Monitor] (17.1"vis, February 2005)
Realtek AC'97 Audio
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (3x)
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (3x)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (3x)
NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (B1)
NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller (2x)
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (2x)
250.05 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A [CD-ROM drive]
DVD-16X DVD-ROM BDV316G [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

citadel 18:42 19 Jan 2006

I think you could have had a better spec for that money. a faster processor and a lot better graphics card for a start.

961 18:43 19 Jan 2006

I'm not quite sure where you are going with this

You will always find someone who can provide something at a lower price, and it is true with computers more than any other product that the one you buy is out of date before it reaches you

All I can say is that if you are basically pleased with the thing, then don't go down this road. It won't, in the end, make you any happier

So far as graphics cards are concerned, they move even faster than computers, and so do the games that demand even faster cards

Gamers quite often pay the thick end of twice as much as you did. I wouldn't dream of paying what you paid, but then I don't pay the latest games

If it works well, be content. I know that's hard to do, but it's the best advice I can give

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:51 19 Jan 2006

Oh well, here goes....if you were happy at the time so be it but in all truth you have overpaid by about £500 IMHO. You haven't even got a DVD writer or seperate soundcard. If this was from a trader I could half understand but from a 'friend'. I would hate to meet your enemies in this case, sorry to be blunt but there is no point in simpering here..

G

pcw Manager!!??! 19:03 19 Jan 2006

I would have to agree. We could have offered you a machine with dual drives, 19" TFT and 3.2-3.4 Ghz processor for around 800-900 pounds and that would have included a 256 nvidia graphics and maybe even media centre! The best deals are the ones posted in the press for the weekend so keep an eye out next time your looking to upgrade.

Alfresco 19:18 19 Jan 2006

i appreciate all responces and know i should't stress but its hard not to if i really have over paid by £500.
Are you sure? even last september? as i will take this up with the freind in question.

SG Atlantis® 19:23 19 Jan 2006

Ouch, I am with Gandalf on this one.

For about £200 less than what you paid I got:

AMD64 3700+ 2.2Ghz
2 Gb RAM = 4 X 512mb
Lite On dvd rewriter
Philips dvd rewriter with lightscribe.
win xp home
19 inch flat panel Samsung monitor
nvidia 6200 256mb graphics
2 x 160 gig Sata HDDS
Built in card reader.
Microsoft works
and some more software...

OUCH!

hzhzhz 19:24 19 Jan 2006

pcw Manager!!??!.

You must be out of order here.

rmcqua 19:36 19 Jan 2006

Alfresco
IMHO Gandalf and SG Atlantis are right.
Although I believe your ND-3540A IS a DVD/RW device, the processor and graphics card are definitely not what you would expect for this price.
Sorry 961, but he did ask for an honest opinion!

Alfresco 19:41 19 Jan 2006

Thank you to everyone posting. the more honest opinions the better.

stalion 19:48 19 Jan 2006

if pcw Manager!!??! has joined the forum and has the blessing of the F.E. how is it out of order?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?