Desktop replacement Laptop needed....£1000 budget

SDJ 13:00 02 Aug 2004

im looking for a laptopto replace adesktop, it doesnt have to be overly mobile as it will only be transported between two properties.

Im looking for as high a spec as possible, had thought of click here

or
click here

or even
click here

40gb should be enough for the HDD, although 60 would be better. The bigger the screen the better.

Any thoughts on the above or an alternative. I would like it to less than £1k as I have some other software to buy, although my office 2000 should work on XP shouldnt it?

Cheers

SDJ 10:42 03 Aug 2004

Looking at this toshiba click here

which is currently on sale at pc world for £899 and its the 512mb dvd-rw version.

Seems a good deal although im unsure about the dvd-r and dvd-rw, should i be looking for one with dvd+r and dvd+rw?

Cheers

TomJerry 11:02 03 Aug 2004

If you do not have to go for famous brands, you can check out AJP click here (have a ajp for 6 years, still going although I do not use it anymore), novatech click here, or Tiny click here. You will get more performance from the same money.

sorefingers 01:00 04 Aug 2004

Fully loaded 15" tft 3.06 GHz 512ram laptop £999.99
Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor
supporting Hyper-Threading Technology
533MHz FSB, with APC & Smart Power
• Multi Format DVD Burner
• DVD R/RW
• WIRELESS LAN 11MBit/s
• NVIDIA GeForce 128MB FX5600
• 60 GB Hard Disk
• 24 month manufacturer warranty
• Carry Bag
• Huge software package
. 4 USB2 . TV out

and more...

SDJ 08:07 04 Aug 2004

That is a good deal....... As its not for me (always the way buying for other people) my friends decided to go for the Toshiba.

I was quite impressed with the Toshiba reviews and think they have made a good choice.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone