Dell XPS

hugh144 19:11 14 Sep 2008

I'm about to invest in a new PC - my Evesham with Windows ME has done me proud for the past 7 years but its beginning to show its age!

I don't need a PC for gaming but I want to buy a machine that's relatively future proof and will last a few years without having to think anbout upgrading.

The Dell XPS is much higher spec that what I actually need but I would appreciate some views from PCA members.

Look forward to hearing from you.

chub_tor 19:36 14 Sep 2008

The Dell XPS range covers models from £493 to £1174. Which one are you looking at?

citadel 20:13 14 Sep 2008

you should look at the inspiron range at dell as these are more for your needs.

CodeMeister 16:26 15 Sep 2008

It might be worth you hanging on for the launch of the new Core i7 processors. Even if you don't buy a P.C. with this new technology, it should push the price of the other machines down.

There are rumours that Dell are going to discontinue the XPS range.

Have a look at the following page:

click here

tigertop2 16:49 15 Sep 2008

I tend to agree with Codemeister. The new Intel Core i7 processors shouldn be launched by year end -together with new x58 motherboards. Sounds as if they might be a good combination as well. But I agree they may force the market price of current systems down. I ,for one, am holding off my next build until I see some specs on the new hardware

malgall 20:15 16 Sep 2008

i have a dell not xps just a dimension 9200
and am very happy with it
they use a btx format
which means better air flow over the parts that need it when not playing games its quiet as a mouse

tigertop2 15:39 24 Sep 2008

hugh144 if you are a PC Advisor reader ignore the article dates on page 14 of the Nov issue. It refers to the introduction of Nehalem processors. Contrary to the date given in the article the Corei7 is in fact due in the last quarter of 2008, not the last half of 2009 and the editor has agreed the 2008 date is correct. Reviews and test results are expected shortly in the UK press.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?