Dell Technical Support Question?

darkster 13:19 30 Dec 2006

Hi,
How good is Dell's technical support? Is it charged at premium or national rate? Is it routed to an Indian call centre? I am on the lookout for a new pc and I have decided against a Packard Bell from PC World due to their poor (and expensive) technical support. I saw a Dell system in the paper today that looks good. Any comments would be really appreciated.

mymate 13:31 30 Dec 2006

I have called them up,it goes to India,but the guy was nice. I think its a 0870 number.
I wont bother calling them again,i just come on here and ask advise, more helpful here.

mymate 13:34 30 Dec 2006

I have noticed that when i go on to Dll forum,and put in all my details,it then tells me if i need to update any drivers.I flashed my Bios the other week,only cause there was a download for it.

wjrt 13:35 30 Dec 2006

having never had to use do not know where the call goes but is a premium rate number which can cost 5 to 11p per minute and is a uk dialling code

surfmonkey #:@}© 13:36 30 Dec 2006

How good is Dell's technical support?
as i have never delt with them tho i say this i have a compac q pc amonst the ups and downs of many problems with the pc i have never contacted there tec support never needed to when there is so much help in this great forum( and im not trying to suck up )which has solve may problems crashes reinstalls as they have and its saved me a pretty penny to in priemium rate phone calles.
in my case i would forget about the tec support and just buy the best spec pc for me no matter who its from. just my opinion tho

mymate 13:37 30 Dec 2006

surfmonkey #:@}©.Spot on.

mike1967 13:49 30 Dec 2006

0870 is not premium rate, it is national rate which I think is a maximum of 10p per minute

I have a Dell PC and its been great and still is, and like others have said any help is available here free of charge

mymate 14:28 30 Dec 2006

I use 18185 so 0870 that should cost 10p a min costs 5. but i think there is a local number you can use as well from click here

terryf 14:59 30 Dec 2006

look at the saynoto0870 site for alternative numbers click here and bookmark this site

mymate 15:16 30 Dec 2006

i have already wrote it down on my Dell booklet.Instead of08709080800 its 01344373727.Then i used 18185 and just paid the connection fee of 5p and didnt mind talking all day !

darkster 15:18 30 Dec 2006

Thanks for all the advice. I have to agree that this forum is superb! Every time I have had a problem or asked a question I have been given the answers quickly by very helpful, knowledgeable people. Keep up the very good work. When I buy a new computer I like to research the prospective companies to see the problems, if any. Have any of you guys had any hardware failures or do Dell use quality reliable components? (I only ask as my Evesham hasn't missed a beat in three years of pretty intensive service!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone