Dell Studio XPS - 8GB Tri-Channel RAM - Surely Not

CodeMeister 15:48 01 Feb 2009

Hi

Dell are offering their Studio XPS Desktop PC with 8GB of Tri-Channel RAM.

It was my understanding that Tri-Channel RAM had to be installed in multiples of three.

Please see link below.

click here

Could anyone please confirm whther or not this is a mistake ?

On the US site, the 8GB option is advertised as Dual-Channel RAM, which makes more sense.

If it is wrong, then they are mis-selling.

GaT7 15:57 01 Feb 2009

2x & 4x modules will work in tri-channel too - the slots need to be populated in a certain configuration though, see this click here. G

MAT ALAN 15:59 01 Feb 2009

I would be more inclined to say that the error points to the 8 which i am sure should read as 6

=3 x 2gigs

Memory
2GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 2 DIMMs

Up to 12GB 1066 MHz Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM - 3 DIMMs
Six (6) use-accessible DIMM connectors, Installed in three for Tri-Channel memory performance

text taken from space...

CodeMeister 16:06 01 Feb 2009

The two options offered are as follows

6144MB (6x1024) 1067MHz DDR3 Tri Channel [Included in Price]

8192MB (4x1024,2x2048) 1067MHz DDR3 Tri Channel [add £43.48 or £1/month-1]

CodeMeister 16:10 01 Feb 2009

On the US Dell site, the *GB option is described as Dual-Channel, but on the UK / European site, the 8GB option is described as Tri-Channel

GaT7 16:20 01 Feb 2009

See this thread in another forum click here

Someon has posted a CPU-Z screenshot of 8Gb running in tri-channel click here. G

CodeMeister 16:26 01 Feb 2009

Ahh, well done crossbow7, thank you so much for that link and for MAT ALAN's contribution as well.

GaT7 16:30 01 Feb 2009

"8192MB (4x1024,2x2048)" would make all 6 slots filled & therefore running in tri-channel.

I don't think CPU-Z is likely to get something like this wrong. Although, stranger things have happened ;-), G

GaT7 16:33 01 Feb 2009

Sorry, my earlier statement: "2x & 4x modules will work in tri-channel too" is not entirely correct. 4x modules will, but not 2x (as seen in the link I posted). G

CodeMeister 16:42 01 Feb 2009

Thanks Crossbow7.

I'd still be interested to know why the 8GB option on the US site is labelled as "Dual-Channel", whilst the 8GB option on the UK / European site is labelled as "Tri-Channel".

You'd think they'd all be the same.

GaT7 18:26 01 Feb 2009

"You'd think they'd all be the same." - Yes, that's a strange one indeed, & it's not getting better....

For tri-channel to be obtained, it (click here) states that each module needs be the 'same capacity'. So one could have 2x2Gb modules populating 4 slots as shown & be OK.

However, the Dell UK system has two different capacity modules - 1Gb & 2Gb, & so would the Dell US one, as they're both describing them as '6 DIMMS'.

Btw, one of the DDR3 motherboard manuals (PDF click here, pg 16) I looked into had very similar info to the above link, & also added:
"When enabling 3 Channel mode with three, four or six modules, it is recommended [reading this as 'not compulsory'] that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used."

The info in the link also states:
"At a minimum, DIMM#2 in channels A, B, and C must be populated to activate tri-channel bandwidth."

So we've determined 8Gb filling 6 slots (or 4 correctly) will run in tri-channel, but the two Dell sites differ in this respect quite puzzlingly.

Dell should also think about using 4x2Gb modules to make 8Gb leaving 2 slots free, but it would probably drive costs up for this configuration? G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?