DELL resource disks / backups CDs query?

gozzila 20:45 03 Mar 2008

I've placed an order (online) for a Dell but see in order confirmation it says "no resource disks". Checking with Dell, they advise that they only offer these an option by phone orders... I don't really want the hassle of cancelling and reordering, so wondered if anyone can advise if this is going to cause me any grief in the future if I had to recover / reinstall? (Also keen for confirmation that even an online order will have Vista OEM CD - unable to get a coherent answer from sales/customer care).

belfman 21:16 03 Mar 2008

I have had "Operating System" disks with some of my Dells, done via the Internet, and it did state explicitly that they came as part of the order.

Proclaimer 23:47 03 Mar 2008

As in the option to create recovery discs from a partition already on the HDD when you get it.
If that is the case then you will have no problem recovering the PC to factory condition (if you burn the discs) should anything go wrong.

Ask Dell if the option to burn recovery discs is provided.

Totally-braindead 23:51 03 Mar 2008

I bought a Dell for a friend about a year ago and on screen was a link to a program to make a backup disk and thats what I did as soon as I set it up.

Haven't tried it yet as I haven't needed to as everything has been fine.

namtas 08:49 04 Mar 2008

The last two PC that I bought from DEll had the full back up resources on the HDD. A menu option came up on first start up advising you what to do. In addition it also provided a full restore partition and you also were able to create a full stand alone windows OS disk, I have tried it and it works to install the window system. I also believe that you can order a restore disk later.

gozzila 17:20 04 Mar 2008

Latest from Dell is that I will get a DVD containing Vista, but not a resource CD with drivers and diagnostics... not an option you get to choose on online orders. I've been told I can cancel the online order and place it by phone, paying £5.66 for the resource CD... From what respondents have said, seems that its not something I need worry about. Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?