Dell - pricey on parts

xania 13:24 28 Mar 2007

I read a great deal about how good Dell are on their customer service, but I simplpy have to report my experience today. I have identified that my neighbour's Optiplex 260 has a failed power supply. It took 3 telephone calls, all number suplpied by Dell, before I actually found the person I needed to order the part, but then wished I hadn't found him. How much for a power supply? £30? £50? No - £125 which, I to which, no doubt, you still have to add vat & delivery. It seems that trying to fit any other make won't work. No wonder their sevice is good - you do have to pay for it somehow. Frankly, my customer is going to buy a new PC that I can service. Sorry Dell - think again!!

robbiepaul79 13:33 28 Mar 2007

Yeah Dell computers are nice but really if anything goes wrong and your out of warranty its new PC time, even upgrading has its many problems.

I like my Dell computer but i reckon next time im going to buy from standard compliant suppliers.

Yet saying that for those that like piece of mind and are not technical minded Dell is generally a good safe choice.

spuds 14:44 28 Mar 2007

It as been noted for ages that Dell products are good, but not cheap on upgrades. Just try configuring a new computer system, and see some of the prices quoted for memory and the like.

I have just priced up an old Pentium Dell 17Gb hard drive £99.98 (yes 17Gb and £99.98). The same thing applied to the Dell monitor to computer cable for this obsolete system £19.98+vat (if and when available). Mainly due to being special to Dell. But the system did cost well over a £1.280 all those years ago.

Stuartli 15:30 28 Mar 2007

Try click here or click here

Latter an especially good company to deal with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?