Dell or Tiny

Zebrapec 14:20 16 May 2005

Looking to buy good, decent quality desk top, from either Tiny or Dell. Both seem to give a lot for your money, were's the catch?

Aspman 14:40 16 May 2005

I doubt there is a catch. You may need to check you are getting free delivery it can add quite a bit to the costs.

I think Tiny's support helpline is also quite expensive.

My personal opinion would be to favour Dell over Tiny. I have owned a Dell PC in the past and it was a good machine while I had it.

Edbanger 14:48 16 May 2005

My son as just purchased a desktop from Tiny, and it does not include a recovery disc. You can have one for an extra £39, or get one free if you take out an extended warranty. It seems like a bit of a rip off to me.

spuds 14:51 16 May 2005

No catch, just good marketing.

I have purchased Dell products, and I would recommend Dell without doubt.Tiny have an advert in todays Daily Express, and the products look very enticing.

At the end of the day, it all depends on the fact that the product may need 'customer service'. Helpline call centre charges, delivery costs and paying extra for the install CD, should have a consideration in the final purchase.I think that all these will come at an extra price with Tiny, when Dell may offer these for free.

Pooke100 14:53 16 May 2005

DELL

Pooke100 14:58 16 May 2005

Yeah Dell looks good to me. The extra charges that Tiny add in would put me off. Also some family members have Dell machines and they are as solid as rocks! some of the systems are quite old now aswell and still as reliable as the day they where bought.

961 15:11 16 May 2005

DELL

selfbuild 19:59 16 May 2005

Dell end of story!

sunny staines 20:17 16 May 2005

are dell / tiny systems upgradable at a later date?

some mass produced systems make this awkward.

spuds 20:33 16 May 2005

Both Dell and Tiny computers can be a little difficult to upgrade at a later stage.

georgemac © 06:58 17 May 2005

Dell

My brother in law went to a Tiny showroom, against my advice I may add, just over 7 weeks ago. I advised Mesh, but he wanted to pay by business cheque to get the tax relief from the mome computer scheme. I had forewarned him about the recovery disk scenario.

He was told if he did not purchase the recovery disk, he would have no support from Tiny if something went wrong. Even after this, after some good sales talk he placed an order and gave them the cheque. He was promised delivery in 3 weeks.

The 3 weeks passes and he contacted Tiny. He was told the cheque had not cleared. He contacted his bank, the cheque had cleared over a week previously. Back on the phone, Tiny had run out of TFT's and were awaiting stock. One week later they had TFT's then no cpu's. Next the cpu's had arrived but they had no case's. This was 7 weeks after the initial order.

He then cancelled the order, and is currently waiting on his money back, to go elswhere for his PC. The positives are he will not go near Tiny again, and he will now get more for his money - when he get's it back.

Dell machines may be difficult to upgrade, depends on the model, but you are getting a lot of machine for your money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?