Dell - monitors and a quiet PC - advice please?

joeoz 10:30 26 Apr 2008

I'm looking for a Dell desktop (the 4 year warranty is good value if you want peace of mind, as I do) - probably an Inspiron to keep the cost down.

Only need it for basic stuff - Word, Outlook, Excel, Firefox etc but the main thing I want is quietness.

I also want a decent (but not too expensive) monitor. The 22in E228WFP widescreen looks to fit the bill. The only drawback from my point of view looks to be that it isn't height-adjustable, but I can't see any Dell monitors that are, these days.

Any thoughts on which are the quieter Dell models, please, or on the monitor? Thanks for any help.

Diemmess 15:26 26 Apr 2008

As a matter of principle, near silence is a diffcult state to achieve.
Unless you are prepared to open the case of a brand new PC and replace exixting PSU cooling arrangements and all other cooling fans with other components specially chosen for their quiet behaviour.

Dell and probably every other brand manufacturer have bundled a set of components to meet a given market where speed and capability determine what will be fitted for a given price.
Noise has very low priority.

Again with so little importance attached, there may be noticable variations between otherwise identical models.

Google will display a huge choice of quiet fans and very efficient heat sinks, some of which dont need a fan at all.

I transformed a new PC by simply replacing the PSU for one with a large, slow revving fan and the promise of quietness.

The obvious snag is that most retailers of new computers are peeved if you open the case withing the warranty period.

GaT7 18:24 26 Apr 2008

Other ways you could get a relatively quiet PC:

1. Choosing a Media Centre type PC which is generally quieter,
2. Buying/getting it built from a retailer/PC-builder who specifically do quiet PCs/cases, or
3. Building it yourself with quiet components

Dells will give best value & one can specify a longer warranty, but they aren't necessarily very quiet. But the one you go for could be 'quiet enough' for you.

The 22" monitor on this Inspiron 530 is height-adjustable click here - in fact all the ones listed are height-adjustable.

If you want to keep the cost down even more, go for a Vostro instead - e.g. click here - this is one of the cheapest models & will easily handle basic stuff.

For some Dells you can deselect the monitor & get it from elsewhere, & even choose XP instead if preferred (may be a wise thing to do for lower-end machines). G

project 90 19:44 26 Apr 2008

could invest in some water cooling for the noise expensive but suposed to be very quiet and effective

cactusjack 19:58 26 Apr 2008

A quick question regarding the Dell heigh adjustable monitors. With the Dell XPS 630, it comes with a:

22in 2208WFP WIDESCREEN UK/Irish Silver (1280X800) with TrueLife TCO99 DVI-D Height Adjustable

I then looked at Dell's Accessores section, and saw the following:

- Dell UltraSharp 2208WFP Black 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor (TCO'99)

Are both monitors the same? There is a difference in the native resolution and the word Ultrasharp is present in the second one. But otherwise, are they relatively similar?

Thanks.

GaT7 20:27 26 Apr 2008

There appears to be a mistake, as most of the monitors listed (click here) have a 1280x800 resolution!

I found 3x 22" models, which are click here - so no, I don't think the monitors you posted are the same. G

P.S. Don't go for the XPS 630 as it's way too much for your needs & costs ~4 times more than the Vostro I suggested!

joeoz 20:15 27 Apr 2008

Thanks for the help. I went for the Dell Inspiron 530s E8400 Core 2 Duo Processor (3.00GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB cache), which, with a TV card, two 320GB hard drives, the 22in E228WFP widescreen monitor and a few other bits and pieces (including a 4 year onsite warranty) came to a fraction over £700.

Pretty reasonable price to include monitor and a long onsite warranty.

joeoz 20:16 27 Apr 2008

Thanks for the help. I went for the Dell Inspiron 530s E8400 Core 2 Duo Processor (3.00GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB cache), which, with a TV card, two 320GB hard drives, the 22in E228WFP widescreen monitor and a few other bits and pieces (including a 4 year onsite warranty) came to a fraction over £700.

Pretty reasonable price to include monitor and a long onsite warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?