Dell Laptops: Read this article

originalmiscellany 15:56 21 Apr 2005

It's amazing how much I abuse my laptop, but once having read this story, I promise to treat it with more respect and more love!

click here

Global is good

In his provocative new book, distinguished American commentator Thomas Friedman argues that digital technology and increasing globalisation have created a 'flat earth'. In this exclusive extract he unravels the dizzyingly complex supply chain behind his laptop - and argues that it will make the world a safer place

Thursday April 21, 2005
The Guardian

Buy The World is Flat at the Guardian bookshop

Let me tell you a little bit about the computer I am writing this on. It's a Dell Inspiron 600m notebook, service tag number 9ZRJP41. As part of the research for my book, I visited the management team at Dell, near Austin, Texas. I shared with them the ideas in this book and in return I asked for one favour: I asked them to trace the entire global supply chain that produced my Dell notebook. Here is their report.
My computer was conceived when I phoned Dell's 800 number on April 2 2004, and was connected to sales representative Mujteba Naqvi. He typed in both the type of notebook I ordered as well as the special features I wanted, along with my personal information, shipping address, billing address and credit card information. My credit card was verified by Dell through its work-flow connection with Visa, and my order was then released to Dell's production system. Dell has six factories around the world - in Limerick, Ireland; Xiamen, China; Eldorado do Sul, Brazil; Nashville, Tennessee; Austin, Texas; and Penang, Malaysia.

New Neophyte 10:03 22 Apr 2005

Fantastic piece, even if it appeared in The Guardian.

Thanks very much.

NN

Maturin 10:38 22 Apr 2005

Wow! It is a complex (business) world out there.

wint 09:27 23 Apr 2005

That is a fascinating article.

Pooke100 09:39 23 Apr 2005

here's another old guardian article to compliment this Dell thread: click here

Magik ®© 13:04 23 Apr 2005

nice one, I shall talk to my Dell laptop more often, now i know what it has been through..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie