Dell laptops

pegleg64 17:36 14 Sep 2010

Hi,
I'm looking to replace my aging laptop and I'm getting really confused with all the different models that I've been looking at.
I have been on the Dell website and I've spotted one that looks quite good for the money.
Specs are...Dell Studio 1558,it has an I5-450M 2.4GHZ CPU,a 1gb ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470 graphics card,4096mb DDR3 SDRAM and a 640GB hard drive,also a 15.6" HD screen.£649 inc delivery.

I have never bought on line before,prefering to go to PC World etc,were I can actually talk to people,are Dell good people to deal with and does this seem like a good deal.
I only want the laptop for general use but the option to be able to play the odd game or two would be a bonus.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

john bunyan 21:41 14 Sep 2010

Your spec looks good. Some on this forum have found Dell's service a bit lacking. I spoke to a local repair man (mainly deals with software) but he says that Toshiba and Asus are reliable and can get spares more easily. I bought a Toshiba from John Lewis , with a free 2 year guarantee.Not quite as high a spec as yours but good
click here

Bike-it 21:48 14 Sep 2010

Bought this lately for a neighbour who knows nothing about computers and i was really impressed with it.

click here

pegleg64 09:03 15 Sep 2010

Thanks for your replies guys,I'm looking in to your suggestions.

iscanut 09:51 15 Sep 2010

I would rather buy from Dell than PC World. I can vouch for the Samsung as I have purchased two from Saveonlaptops over the years. I have this one and it is excellent click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?