Dell laptop woes

midnightstar 10:13 30 Jun 2006

well, i thought i would purchase a brand new high spec inspiron 6400 (1.83ghz duo, 1gb ram, 80gb hdd, 256mb gfx etc).

The laptop works fine for about 3 weeks (21st june) it just goes blank and won't turn on. I remove the battery as instructed and it booted up except blank screen and no POST or XP. Sent to dell on the 21st, arrives on the 22nd to be fixed and ever since then "the problem has been identified as the motherboard and we are awaiting stock of this item" todays date is the 30th and nothing new?

Any suggestions on howto kick them up the back side and get moving? how to get compensation?

Phil

midnightstar 10:28 30 Jun 2006

update: in talks with the supervisor, he seems to be more knowledgable, and suggested a replacement part which is different. However i told him, it must be of equal performance or better. should i push hard for more compensation?

Diodorus Siculus 10:31 30 Jun 2006

You should ask for a refund and start again...

Whether or not you can do that now that you have accepted the offer of a repair, I am not sure.

midnightstar 10:37 30 Jun 2006

thanks, i am giving them a deadline of the 5th so if its not fixed by then i will be starting again. Perhaps not dell. But you must know what its like having to setup a computer and get it the way you like it, thats why i chose the repair option.

Diodorus Siculus 11:29 30 Jun 2006

I know how you feel - I've done the same even though it might have been better to get a refund.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:05 30 Jun 2006

1) the Sales of goods Act states that you must give a company time to repair an item. Demanding refunds straight away is rather myopic.

2) if the motherboards are not in stock there is not much point in 'kicking backside'. The staff at Dell will only be trying to help, adopting an antagonistic approach never works well.

3) you are unlikely to get 'compensation' A court would assume that if the laptop was so important to you, you would have had some reserves as it were.

4) I t is not Dell's fault that there is a problem although it can be very annoying to the customer. Dell, like every other company, do not want faults to occur, if they did, it would be commercial suicide. Unfortunately, there appears to be a fault with your laptop. It may be a faulty MB or it could be something else and bear in mind it could be somehting that happened whilst you were using the machine.

Remain calm but firm. It is no use berating staff, it is not their fault and they are likely to give you the one-finger salute when you are off the phone. I always find that politeness opens many doors.

G.

Ikelos 12:32 30 Jun 2006

very well put......

midnightstar 13:12 30 Jun 2006

issue is nearly resolved, the techniques above would work but i prefered going to a supervisor who had more knowledge, it turns out that they were waiting for some batch allocated to spares so they are going to remove the harddrive and send me a whole new one. Still trying to get out of them dates, they seem to be unable to make date promises.

namtas 15:19 30 Jun 2006

These are key facts from the DTI information base

click here

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).
• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)
• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).
• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

midnightstar 15:27 01 Jul 2006

issue has been resloved, after another 20 min chat this a supervisor, he has agreed to promise me it will be fixed by the 10th and i get a bluetooth module as compensation. Let this kinda be a lesson, if you want to get somewhere with dell ask to be transfered to a supervisor.

midnightstar 10:47 10 Jul 2006

sigh, reopening because they have broken there promise of the 10th and now say the 14th...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone