Dell Laptop Purchase

pisteypete 09:14 12 Jan 2005

I have a daughter who requires a laptop to take to Univesrity. She needs to use it for word processing, spread sheets and internet stuff; but I suspect she'll also use it for playing music and watching DVD's, etc. I've got a budget of upto £800 and have looked at a Dell Inspiron 8600c, only because my home PC is a Dell and I've had no problems with it. Can anyone recomend an alternative?

jerichobob 10:36 12 Jan 2005

There are loads of good laptops out there for that kind of budget as even these seem to be coming down in price. If gaming is never going to be an issue you may want to look at one of the widescreen versions on offer - check out PC World - with a Celeron cpu which will enhance your daughters movie watching experience whilst staying 'In Budget'.
There's nothing wrong with the Dell system at all. In fact my friend - a policeman!!!! - has just bought one for his daughter for exactly the same reason and she is happy as the proverbial.

If your daughter is going to listen to music and watch movies then you will need to budget for a set of speakers as those on laptops are tinny at best. Powered - plug into the mains - are generally better as they have their own amplifier built in.

Yoda2002 15:43 12 Jan 2005

yeah i would not recommend you use pc world as i find them aways over priced try surfing around i got my tos sat pro a40 14"
2.6 celeron 256mb
dvd/cd drive
for only 400 quid from click here!!! so for 800 quid you could add to that a 15-17" screen a dvd rw a seperate graphics card ...

TomJerry 21:35 12 Jan 2005

Notebooks for students scheme can knock off around £50+ from Tosh laptop click here

£800 will get you Tecra A2 (PTA20E-07801QEN)
Intel Pentium M 725 (1.6GHz), 256Mb RAM, 40Gb hard disk, 15" TFT screen, 1024 x 768 pixels, 16.7 million colours, DVD/CD-RW combo drive, Wireless LAN 802.11b/g, LAN/Modem, Windows XP Professional, 2.5Kg, 1 Year Warranty.

Chuffchuffbuff 14:45 13 Jan 2005

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1000 just before Xmas mainly for my children's schoolwork. It is more than adequate for our needs - and by the sound of it - your daughter's. It was £491, well within your budget. I am very pleased with it and why pay more for extra features which may not be necessary for your needs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?