Dell Laptop bought from Link is broken

archaic73 09:07 02 Sep 2009

Hi All! First time post, and I'm hoping that someone can help.

I have a friend who purchased a Dell laptop from the Link (Northern Ireland) in July. Basically it now will not start up (I dont remember the error message - sorry) Obviously she called the Link who told her that she must contact the manufacturer to repair it. We both work in retail and I know that she said that her contract (ie the purchase of a laptop) is with them and not with the manufacturer. They aren't budging, and dell want £80 per hour to look at and fix it. Surely this is wrong.

Sorry if it's a bit vague, but if there is anyone who can help, I would really appreciate this. If you need more details I'm sure that I can get them.

Many thanks!

interzone55 09:12 02 Sep 2009

Whilst you are correct, the contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer, you should also have a 1 year return to base warranty from Dell.

Check the paperwork that came with the laptop and look for the warranty details.

If you can fond the RTB warranty details give Dell another call and book a return, if a fault is found they can't charge you for a repair within the warranty period, if there's no fault they are allowed to charge for their wasted time...

archaic73 09:23 02 Sep 2009

ahh thank you I will get her to check for that! I knew this would be the place to find a solution!

thanks again :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone