DELL INSPIRON 6000 laptop - a good deal?

foreignmuck 18:29 13 Jan 2006

hi

ive almost made a decision to buy the following spec laptop, after the sales guy called me up, and agreed to sell me the laptop for £763 including VAT, delivery, plus 3 year at home cover inc. accidental damage.

Is this is good deal? has anyone had experience with these laptops? they're better looking ones around IMO, but they look pretty solid..

Inspiron 6000 pentium M750 (1.86 Ghz 2MBL2cache 533Mhz FSB

15.4 inch WXGA LCD panel (is this screen going to be high res enough?)

memory - 1024 MB DDR2 SDRAM (2x512mb)

60GB harddrive

8x DVD +/- RW Drive

Intel media accelerator 900 graphics uo to 128mb shared system memory.

any comments gratefully recieved

cheers

Jackcoms 20:41 13 Jan 2006

You make no mention of Windows or Office being included in the package.

Are they included?

Without them it's a waste of space - even if it is a Dell!

smy13 22:25 13 Jan 2006

you know my opinion on these, but I'll repeat it anyway, think they are a great buy I presume that the lastest spec means it XP media centre. As for MS office if it's not installed and you don't want to shell out I believe it comes with MS works, if that's not good enough for your needs try the free Open Office Suite
click here

I put it on my Kids 6000's and it's more that adequate for most peoples needs and will recognize all MS office document formats

I'd question why you need the 3 years cover If you decide you could live without it. it'll save you another £140 approx (more than enough to buy MS office 2003 student addition) if you want to go that way

Buy it and enjoy !!!!

foreignmuck 11:02 16 Jan 2006

thanks for your comments

it does come with Windows XP (media centre edition) but not office, although it comes with works. not a massive problem as i have the office software anyway..

re the cover - it includes accidental damage, which is probably worthwile as its a laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?