Dell Inspiron 1300 - 299 GBP is a con

7 of 9 15:39 26 Feb 2006

Dell advertised this model for 299 basic.
I tried a few times to obtain it by phone to be told that the offer had been withdrawn.
So I contacted customer relations to be told that ordering by phone would no longer be a problem.
True the guy who took my order was great, he took my email address and address and told me to wait for an email.
NO email arrived,on enquiring i had been strangely deleted from the Dell system.
So I ordered again, this chap was so pained that i wanted no extras he was not even going to bother taking my address. Indeed again no email was received.
Conclusion - unless Dell can make up the profit margin by selling extras, their advertising is not worth the paper its written on - A GREAT CON.

namtas 15:57 26 Feb 2006

From the advert I can get it down to £288+Vat.

smy13 17:00 26 Feb 2006

Depending on how you enter the site you can get it down to 339 including vat or 299 ex Vat which brings it up to 351. I'm afraid that with Dell the devil is in the detail and you can get some stunning offers, but you have to keep going in to the site on a regular basis

7 of 9 17:44 26 Feb 2006

The price up to 24/02/06 was 299 GBP by phone or 339 GBP by internet inclusive of VAT.
The fact is Dell made it impossible to buy their special offer as a basic unit and now the price is back up.
So, we had a sale that never was.

namtas 19:20 26 Feb 2006

You would have to admit if you can put aside any personel determination to prove a point 339 smackers aint a bad price. Gosh it has XP installed also.

7 of 9 21:13 26 Feb 2006

The point is although 339 smackers aint a bad price - their advertised phone only price of 299 smackers was an even better deal.
Some of us have to penny pinch, 40 smackers is in my book a significant amount.
Anyway DELL are CON MERCHANTS.
Admittedly they make great machines, but their PR stinks.
They never intended to sell their Basic machines for 299 - I spent a fortune on phone calls and have nothing to show for it.
Whats more I do know their system - Dell win - not the conned public.

SG Atlantis® 21:43 26 Feb 2006

I can't see how they are "CON MERCHANTS" they have promotions and they end promotions.

Forty quid is not an awful lot of cash, you'd spend more than that on a meal for two at the local restaurant.

Expensive phone calls click here is handy.

Dellman 10:18 27 Feb 2006

I bought an M6000 Inspiton from Dell the other week for £710. The online price for similar spec was £934!! This includes 80GB HD, McAfee Security, 512 RAM, Windows Media Center (although not on PC when it arrived!!), 3yrs onsite warranty and deluxe leather case.....guess it sometimes pays to speak to a person!!

Simsy 11:01 27 Feb 2006

that the statement "Forty quid is not an awful lot of cash" is very subjective...

To me it is a very significant amount!

It's more than 10% of the price in question!

It's more than I spend in a weeek on food shopping!

For anyone that really feels it isn't much, might I humbly suggest you pop down your local high street and pop £40 in the first charitable outfit you pass... would you feel it?

I can see where you're coming from SG Atlantis®, but not the best choice of phrase I feel.

Note... I don't want to start a row!!

Regards,

Simsy

Dellman 11:04 27 Feb 2006

Bill Gates says.....

"...I probably wouldn't even notice £40 "falling" out of my pocket!!....."

Tazfan 13:49 27 Feb 2006

I feel for you. Seems you missed out on a better price through no fault of your own.

For the record, £40 is a significant amount for me as well. As far as spending £40 on a meal for two in a restaurant is concerned, its way out of my price range, and I could not justify sepnding more than a weeks food allowance on 2 dinners. Its way out of my league. My "meals out" consist of Chips n Curry from the local Chippy at £1.45.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?