Dell Dimension 3100

Southernboy 21:13 13 May 2006

After the problems my son has been having with his Evesham PC, he decided to buy a new one. He ordered a new PC as above. No problems with the price or delivery but, guess what? Dead on arrival!

This is the 4th computer we have purchased. The previous three worked out of the box, so it is very disappointing that this one simply does not boot. I have to say that the build quality does not look very good and, all in all, does not seem to have been a very wise purchase.

rdave13 21:45 13 May 2006

Let us know how Dell customer support deals with this. Sometimes these things happen but I've a felling that Dell will sort it out pronto.

oresome 17:20 14 May 2006

If you fancy opening the case, it may be worthwhile ensuring the cards are securely plugged in to the motherboard and all other connections are made.

No doubt it worked before leaving the factory and the likeliest thing is that something has shaken loose in transit.

Southernboy 12:59 15 May 2006

I am not going to open the case as that will invalidate the warranty.

Southernboy 13:13 16 May 2006

of the difficulty in actually getting hold of anyone at Dell has lead me to decide to reject this system as not fit for purpose. After talking to their Technical help, they have recorded it as Dead on Arrival. How it passed their quality control I cannot understand. By the way, does anyone know what Beep Sequence 1-3-2 means?

Fortunately, they have agreed to take it back and credit a full refund. At least they appear to be reasonable about all this.

Woolwell 19:11 16 May 2006

I returned a Dell system recently. Walsh Western will collect it but will only give you a morning or afternoon time slot if you perservere. Even so they turned up late (at least it was the right date). Make sure you keep the receipt. Keep a note of the service tag on the Dell, probably a sticker on the top. Expect the refund to take well over a week. But it does happen and they do not argue over the refund.

PS Keep all e-mails. I found it easier to communicate by e-mail with Dell.

oresome 19:57 16 May 2006

"How it passed their quality control I cannot understand."

No doubt it passed because it worked perfectly at the time of testing.

Perhaps they should simulate the shaking it's likely to get in transportation and then test again.

Southernboy 12:31 17 May 2006

than "shaking" in transit. Firstly, they referred me to "Diagnostic LEDS" on the front of the system, but there weren't any.

Secondly, I got the impression from the Technical Help that the Beep Sequence revealed something was amiss. That is why I asked if anyone knew what it meant - see above.

I have had an Email confirmation today, except that they told me there are to collect tomorrow when we agreed Friday. Still, I can rearrange things although the wife was not best pleased. They confirm they will issue a refund when they get it back. Hopefully, there will be no problems with this.

oresome 14:07 17 May 2006

So who are you going to try now?

donki 15:05 17 May 2006

Try MESH, I really would mine is the best PC ive had, build quality, performance and service. I realise that all the negative statments would put u off but i would highly recomend them.

Thanks

Jimmy05 13:32 18 May 2006

But when it happens with your next PC (chances are it could) are you going to demand a refund and go else where again ? - this happened with a MESH PC I purchased but I sent it back and it was reutrned working (turns out the hard drive cable came loose)

One of my friends (self built) PCs had the same problem when he brought it to my house... it's really not bad build quality just unlucky :) (out of my 7 PCs 1 had this problem)

Oh and i would advise MESH too - good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?