Dell delivery disaster

Moleskin 10:31 15 Dec 2005

Hi,

I've ordered a new Dell Dimension 3100 from their website, and am now waiting for delivery. Unbelievably, I've been informed by Dell that they can only deliver between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday, with no specified time. This is actually a Christmas present for my mum, so in order to ensure it gets to her (in Plymouth) in time, I've arranged for it to be delivered to my brother's address (also in Plymouth). He's a teacher, so naturally isn't able to take time off during the week, but can ensure that he is at the address by 4pm.

I've requested that they deliver between 4pm and 6pm, but have been told that they can't even specify morning or afternoon - let alone a two-hour time slot. In addition to this, I've been told that the couriers can only hold the goods for a maximum of five working days, after which the product is returned to the manufacturer (I'm guessing that's Dell in Ireland).

So after much discussion with the delivery company, I've re-arranged a delivery for next Wednesday, but again cannot specify a time (or even just whether it's morning or afternoon). As my brother's school doesn't break up for Christmas until Thursday, he will still be teaching and unable to be at home all day. Which means they'll send the PC back to Dell and we'll have to go through this again in the New Year (by which time Christmas will be over, and my brother will be back in school - and we're back to square one).

I guess the point of this posting is this: How do people who have full time jobs buy products from Dell - they won't deliver to a neighbour's house, they won't deliver if the person whose name is on the invoice is not at the address, and they won't deliver to an address that is not on the invoice.

I can understand Dell wanting to avoid internet fraud, but surely there must be a less painful way to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions, or perhaps you've experienced the same problems?

thanks
Moleskin

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:05 15 Dec 2005

The delivery is not Dells' fault, it is up to the delivery company. Delivery between 0800 and 1800 is very common now and should come as no suprise as it is quite clear on their website. You can always arrange to pick it up from the depot as I have done with many Dells.

If they delivered to a neighbour and it wennt missing or was faulty you would be the first to complain. They will also deliver to your work address if you arrange it with them.

G

PaulB2005 11:28 15 Dec 2005

The logistics of Multi Drop Point Delivery companies make it impossible to set a time to deliver. Think about the unknowns of traffic, weather and roadworks. The days schedule is calculated according to the best route for that day. Some drop-offs might take a minute to make, some several....

Moleskin 11:31 15 Dec 2005

Thanks for your comments Gandalf. However I have tried to arrange delivery to not only my own, but my brother's work address, to no avail. Apparantly this is impossible, as it is not the address on the card used for payment.
Of course these types of delivery times are very common now, but usually there are alternatives on offer, ie delivery to another address or delivery to a safe alternative - ie leave with neighbour.
Yes of course I would complain if the delivery went missing or was faulty, as is my right as the customer. Similarly, it is my right as the customer to expect delivery in a timely and convenient manner.
I don't doubt that it is the delivery company who create these difficulties, the point to my post was that it is not a very customer friendly set up. (although they did actually say it was Dells instructions to them to implement this delivery policy) Unless noises are made about unsatisfactory customer service, things never change. If I am the only person who finds this frustrating, then so be it, but I wondered if anyone had found this a problem too.
I will look into the pick up from depot option, but without a car, this may be problematic too.
Thanks
Moleskin

bjh 11:51 15 Dec 2005

If the company deliver to an address other than that of the cardholder, who's to say the card hasn't been nicked, or the details copied? It'd be an expensive loss to the computer or credit card companies and, with a big purchase, I'd be surprised if they'd deliver a first order to anything other than the card holders address.

It is your right as a customer to choose with whom you trade. If you don't like the delivery toimes, you can pick up from the depot, or buy from a shop.

However, I do totally agree that this makes life difficult for working online-shoppers. I know that in the US there have been trials of super sized letterbox thingies that have a keycode & give out a receipt (well, something like that. I can just see your luvverly Dell flatscreen monitor sliding in first, followed by 23 kilos of base unit...... crunchtime.

Most online retailers let your second shipment go where you like. I have bought small things from a retailer just so's I can send a bigger prezzie to another address.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:55 15 Dec 2005

When I was in the States you had the option of having any item delivered to a gas Station (with lock-up facilities) for an extra £6 or so. You could choose which station (one on the way to work) and they were usually open until at least midnight, if not all night.

G

dth 12:01 15 Dec 2005

Must disagree here and say it is 100% Dell's fault so to speak. They are the ones choosing the delivery company.

It does drive me crazy these people who are making a delivery and can't even confirm if it will be the morning or afternoon. Just like the old gas and other delivery people. I work in an office and often go out to visit clients at their home - can you imagine confirming an appt and saying next Wed could be morning or it could be the afternoon.

Moleskin 12:56 15 Dec 2005

Hoorah, dth, someone who doesn't think it is acceptable that delivery times can be just when the deliverer fancies!

If someone can tell me a shop where I can buy a Dell, I'll pop along, but as far as I know, and according to their recent advertising campaign, you can't actually buy them in the shops.

Admittedly, I could take my business elsewhere, and to be honest I will in future, however, am kind of stuck with this pickle at the moment.

Moleskin

rmcqua 14:09 15 Dec 2005

I agree with dth. The delivery company is a sub-contractor to Dell. It's Dell's customers who are being disadvantaged and it's Dell's responsibility to agree (or otherwise) the delivery company's policies before using them.
And by the way moleskin, I sympathize totally with your predicament. Both my wife and I work 9 to 5 and we have just had a similar experience with ParcelForce.

sattman 14:35 15 Dec 2005

I fully appreciate the frustration that Moleskin is finding.

I do however feel that I must speak in defence of DEll

At purchase I was told that delivery would be by xyz who would contact me withing 7 days to check delivery details, I was contacted in 3 days, I was asked if this was delivery address and asked if am or pm delivery was best. I was then given a time slot within a three hour period.

The delivery was completed on time as promised.

This situation may have changed as this was 6 weeks ago but at the time I thought the service was pretty efficient.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:06 15 Dec 2005

I do not know of any delivery company that will deliver at a specified time. A 4 hour slot is the best you are likely to get.....ergo, it is not Dells' fault unless someone knows a company that will deliver to time.......at an affordable price.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?