Dell After Sale Service

eybrows 22:45 12 Dec 2009

I bought a new Dell Inspiration 546 in October. I have been MOST disappointed with it - very slow, crashing, error messages to name only a few.

After Sales Service abysmal. I sent several to sales director. Replies "out of office" with promise to call me back. Has not done so.

Can I demand my money back ?

MAT ALAN 23:19 12 Dec 2009

If you think the faults are hardware releted there will be a process to follow through your warranty aggreement...

If you think the errors are software related NO!!!

which is where we maybe some help...

Forum Editor 08:52 13 Dec 2009

You can certainly demand that Dell rectifies the faults - provided they are hardware-related, and not the result of any incompatibilities caused by software that you've installed, or configuration changes you've made.

If a computer develops a fault within six months of the date of purchase the law makes the assumption that the problem existed when you bought the machine, unless the seller can demonstrate otherwise. In those circumstances you are entitled to demand that Dell rectifies the problem to your satisfaction.

eybrows 17:32 13 Dec 2009

I am most obliged to Mat Alan and Forum Editor for their helpful advice. The problem is that I do not know if the problem is hardware or software related, but from the time I bought it, I found it disappointing ( even with better specs)than my old computer. The Dell simply does not match it. My dissatisfaction is compounded by the apparent disinterest in my emails by Dell. I don't know where to turn to next.

MAJ 19:42 13 Dec 2009

You might be jumping the gun a little, eyebrows. Have you tried a factory restore yet? Normally, when I would do a factory restore, I will immediately uninstall all the [email protected] that comes as standard with a new PC/Laptop, you know what I mean, Office trials, McAfee or Norton trials, games trials, etc. Install a decent antivirus package (AVG, Avast, NOD32) and an antispyware package (Spywareblaster and AntiMalwareBytes), then connect to the internet and download and install all the OS updates.
Now, is it still crashing, are you still getting error messages, is it still slow?

eybrows 20:19 13 Dec 2009

Thank you Maj
I am no expert in these fields ; but I cannot find any Office trials, McAfee or Norton trials etc. The antivirus package AVG is installed - but the computer is still a nightmare and is impeding work I need to get done. Surely the least I could expect is that Dell answer my emails.From my experience I would not recommend Dell to anyone. I shall have to buy another eg Toshiba - but this is extra and unfair expense to me
I think I'll go to Office of Fair Trading next
Thank you again

eybrows 20:19 13 Dec 2009

Thank you Maj
I am no expert in these fields ; but I cannot find any Office trials, McAfee or Norton trials etc. The antivirus package AVG is installed - but the computer is still a nightmare and is impeding work I need to get done. Surely the least I could expect is that Dell answer my emails.From my experience I would not recommend Dell to anyone. I shall have to buy another eg Toshiba - but this is extra and unfair expense to me
I think I'll go to Office of Fair Trading next
Thank you again

MAJ 20:56 13 Dec 2009

Okay, eyebrows, if you're not comfortable doing a factory restore, then you don't have to, it was only a troubleshooting suggestion. Did you buy the PC from the Dell site or from somewhere like PCWorld, Currys, etc.? If the former, then you're following the correct procedure by trying to get in touch with Dell, if the latter, then you should be getting in touch with who you bought it from (PCWorld, Currys, etc.).

Al94 21:11 13 Dec 2009

Why not post the details of the problems and error messages in Help Room to see if it can be resolved. I get the feeling this may be software related rather than an issue with the PC. I have always found Dell excellent.

961 10:47 14 Dec 2009

As a fairly frequent visitor to the Dell sites I don't ever recall AVG being offered as the anti virus software on their machines (Always a first time I suppose)

They virtually always install MacAfee or Norton, usually on a trial basis, but sometimes for 3, 12 or 15 months. I haven't come across a consumer Dell machine in recent years without anti virus installed unless it has been expressly arranged

It follows that if you are running AVG on your machine there could well be two anti virus systems running together which will give rise to the sort of symptoms you describe. Either this has been done by a third party retailer or perhaps a friend has suggested you should install it

Either way, before anything else, see if this is what is causing the trouble. If you use the start button to search for " norton" and "MacAfee" you'll be able to see if one of them is present on your system

If so, you'll need to uninstall it (or AVG). Note that this should be done by downloading the relative Uninstaller programme from the maker's web site. Don't try to do it manually yourself because it is not easy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?