Defragging programmes

Vogeltown 22:32 06 Nov 2004

I am looking for a reliable defragging programme and would appreciate the views of other forum members. Bexley

Forum Editor 23:43 06 Nov 2004

with the Windows defragmenter?

Vogeltown 01:24 07 Nov 2004

Nothing, but there are better programmes

Smegs 01:31 07 Nov 2004

I use Norton. It put's the most used files to the front.

CurlyWhirly 13:55 07 Nov 2004

I use DiskKeeper 9 and it is brilliant but it is a shareware program so you have to pay for it.
You can get a cut-down FREE version called DiskKeeper Lite from click here

mikef. 17:22 07 Nov 2004

Another satisfied Disckeeper user, and if you get the full version just set it to defrag when screen saver comes on and you can forget about defragging again.

CurlyWhirly 19:01 07 Nov 2004

I totally agree with your comments and in actual fact I purchased DiskKeeper 8 Professional last year and was so pleased with it that I upgraded a few days ago to DiskKeeper 9 Professional!

It is MUCH FASTER than XP's defragger as explained at click here under Myth No 1.
Worth every penny in my opinion!

wee eddie 21:21 07 Nov 2004

I know that the Windows version is slow, but it does the job and if you leave it working at a time when you are not using the PC.

Who cares if it takes 2 minutes or 2 hours?

Vogeltown 21:58 07 Nov 2004

It was not the time Windows version takes that bothers me, but after time it becomes less effective at defragging . I have read other recommendations for Diskkeeper because of the way it handles the files; probably similar to Norton. Thank you for your responses much appreciated.

mbp 17:23 08 Nov 2004

Sorry to upset the apple-cart but I think that you should look at Raxco's Perfect Disk before laying any money out.

CurlyWhirly 17:55 08 Nov 2004

wee eddie

Who cares if it takes 2 minutes or 2 hours?

I do as I am losing 2 hours of valuable computing time! lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?