Deal or No Deal on Acer?

kuffdam 21:11 05 Oct 2006

Looking for a fairly basic spec desktop for surfing etc and playing some games - seen this wondered if anyone has any views on value for money and quality of Acer products?

click here

Jimmy14 22:55 05 Oct 2006

good computer but sorry to say the Intel 128mb integrated graphics will not cope with any modern games as far as I'm concerned. Its a good computer for the price I must say though.

Totally-braindead 23:32 05 Oct 2006

Have to agree with Jimmy14 here about the graphics.
My advice for whats its worth is look for a PC that has an AGP port or better still a PCI Express port. That way you can use the onboard graphics initially and later on you can buy a graphics card. If you buy a PC with onboard graphics and no port to upgrade the graphics you will be dissapointed if you wish to play games.

dms05 11:57 06 Oct 2006

It seems Jimmy14 and Totally-Braindead are saying you can't use a very basic PC for your specified needs and you need to spend more on an upmarket model. Think closely about what you actually want to do and what it would be nice to do. Somewhere in there is a 'value for money' model that meets your needs and that might not be the cheapest. Buying is always a trade off and I suspect most people buy over specified PC's on the off chance they will need the higher spec (and never do).

If you decide on the Acer then I can say they are well built and seem reliable - I have a 64bit AMD Acer with 1Gb RAM and that works well.

kuffdam 13:44 06 Oct 2006

thanks for the info on the graphics / port upgrade issue. wouldn't have known that myself. think i've found a better model at ebuyer will check on the graphics card and port upgrade

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?